Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cpu Not The Right Speed

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 icecool

icecool

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 15 December 2005 - 11:37 PM

Hi everyone im new to bleeping computers and just wanted to say hi first of all!!!

This is my problem:

I have a Soyo Dragon P4X400 Ultra Plantium Motherboard and recently just installed a Pentium 4 Socket 478 Northwood 533mhz/512k 3.06Ghz cpu. At start up it shows the processor running at a ratio of 12 x 133 around 1.6Ghz. I noticed in the bios i can not change the ratio at all. I have tried resetting the cmos, flashing the bios with the latetest and also another motherboard (same model) and still nothing. No clue on what or if anything i can do about this.

Thanks in advance,
icecool.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 icecool

icecool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2005 - 12:27 AM

In addition to that information I just found out with a cpu info program that it is a mobile processor and 12x is the ratio it is in power saving mode and i understand that u can only change the ratio on mobile motherboards. :thumbsup:

#3 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2005 - 09:20 PM

Dear Ice,

Welcome to Bleeping Computer. :thumbsup: :flowers:

We will help you anyway we can.

Ok, now for the bad news. It is lucky your processor works at all in your mother board. You have a very fast and good CPU but it requires a 800 MHZ Front Side Bus (FSB) and your mother board only supports a maximum 533MHZ FSB.

Here is the page:Soyo

Would it support a regular Intel P4 3.06? Yes, but not a Prescott or Northwood, both need at least a 800mhz FSB.

Having a Northwood rocks! Super fast CPU but from all the information I have found on Northwood's 3 gb and above, they are 800Mhz FSB.

If any at BC would correct me, please feel free.

Let us know,

junkdk :trumpet:
Your Hardware Guide.

#4 icecool

icecool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2005 - 12:43 AM

Alrighty thanks for the help. Im a little puzzled though. On the processor itself it actually says Northwood/533/512. Would the 533 be the front side bus?

Is there anyway to get my multiplier option back in my bios to change it?

Edited by icecool, 17 December 2005 - 12:55 PM.

#5 chiefmasterjedi

chiefmasterjedi

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 17 December 2005 - 06:39 PM

Your processor will work fine with that mobo you just need to adjust the bios settings. Here is a link to what you need http://www.soyousa.com/kb/kbdesc.php?id=71
Here is the latest bios incase you need to update http://www.soyousa.com/downloads/filedesc.php?id=2080

I hope this helps,
Chief.

P.S. It's not the multiplyer that you need to change, it's the FSB setting, change it to 133

Edited by chiefmasterjedi, 17 December 2005 - 06:42 PM.

#6 icecool

icecool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2005 - 11:33 PM

Thanks for all the help so far guys, but no go still. I have the latest bios available on soyo's site and have verified that my fsb is 133 but still no go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users