Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Vista Updates Feb. 9, 2011

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 VickyM72

VickyM72

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 09 February 2011 - 11:23 PM

Hey there!
I just installed my latest updates and lost my Aero. I am running Vista SP2 and am virus/malware free, I assure you. Strange thing though, I had 9 important updates and one of them was unchecked, which was "Update for Windows Vista(KB971029)". The rest of the updates are: Update for IE9 beta(KB2482017), Platform update supplement for Vista(KB2117917), 4 Vista security updates(KB2393802, KB2479628, KB2483185, and KB2485376), Junk E-mail filter(KB905866), and one for the malicious removal tool(KB890830), and they were already checked off. I checked the one off, ran the updates, and restarted. I had to run the System Restore to the point right before I installed the updates and got my Aero back. The only thing I did before I installed the updates was download and install Safari to give it a go, so that was the point that I wound back to. I have had Safari many times in the past and wanted to try it out again. I also run Firefox, IE9, and Opera 11, so I doubt it was Safari's fault. So as of now, I have all of those updates to install again, and do not have Safari anymore.
My questions are;
Has anyone heard of a problem with the latest updates, especially the one in question? I couldn't find anything.
Do you actually think it was Safari 5?
What else should I do, as I always keep my system updated?
Thanks very much for your time, I really appreciate it!
Vicky

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2011 - 11:34 PM

I would be more cautious of IE9 more so then the other updates. It is still beta = in the testing phase.

It is still really to early to say if your Aero problem is related to any of the other updates with them less then 48 hours post release.

I am very doubtful Safari is the cause.

#3 VickyM72

VickyM72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2011 - 11:36 PM

Thank you ThunderZ for the reply. I just happened to come across this: http://thedailyreviewer.com/vista/view/kb971029-autoplay-update-disabled-my-vista-theme-101523884 It appears I am not the only one, and that one update just may be the issue. Thanks again!

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2011 - 12:07 AM

Thank You VickyM72.

Very nice find. Thanks for posting the link. I`m sure it will aid others who may experience the problem. :thumbup2:

#5 VickyM72

VickyM72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2011 - 12:10 AM

Quite welcome, and I hope it does! :busy:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users