Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cant reload windows vista

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lovelylis

lovelylis

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:32 PM

so i have a gateway t-1616. my 5 yr old was running by the couch and knocked it on the floor! all i heard was a high pitched whine and now it wont accept my windows vista recovery disc:( please help me!! i love my laptop!!! overheating is a major issue now too...i think he REALLY messed it up...i'm so sad...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:54 PM

Aww those innocent little rug rats really have a way with electronics huh? :killcomp: :notanangel:

They just seem to have nothing better to do but destroy our toys and well as their own. LOL

It is obvious the computer has suffered some internal damage, it may beyond your ability to fix the damage, specially if a circuit board has cracked from the impact.

It sounds to me that if the computer is still starting up at all that there may be a cooling fan that became dislodged from its holding bracket, that would be the whinning noise you most likely heard.

I leave the choice up to you, but if it was me, I would take this laptop in for servicing by a qualified repair shop that works on laptop computers.

If you feel you can trust your abilities to attempt this task yourself, I will attempt to point you to some web sites which may provide some technical service information.

I think, it may be best rather than do something you'll regret later, you take it to a shop and let them deal with the headache.
Laptops are very complex devices to work on.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 lovelylis

lovelylis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:58 PM

thank you for your input bruce:) i will most likely have it fixed at a repair shop....of course it couldnt be something simple tho lol!! i've had the motherboard fixed several times while it was under warranty and the fan too....and now it is out of warranty but i am willing to pay for it to be fixed; i got a new laptop in the meantime, but i'm not a fan of it....i like my old laptop better:)

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 10 February 2011 - 03:35 AM

I think you are making the correct decision with taking it to a repair shop.

I have been in the electronics repair field for 37 and a half years now and experimented with electronics as a kid.

Because of their compact size, laptops along with cell phones are a repair tech's biggest nightmares to do repairs on. In fact, electronics today are built on the principle that they are disposable devices.
When they stop working, you just throw them in the trash.

Now some poor 3rd world counties have taking it upon them selves to try and salvage any gold or silver from the devices, but other than that, they are not seen as repairable devices.

Laptops are built with modular type architecture, so a lot of times a defective circuit board is swaped out with a replacement circuit board.

In the days of old, it was possible to replace just the defective component, with surface mount technology being the way of life, this is just not cost effective to do any more.

Good luck with your laptop repair, hopefully the repair bill isn't too expensive.

Kind regards...

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users