Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Constant Upload/Dwnld even without browser opened??

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Klinker

Klinker

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:27 PM

Constant Upload/Download even without browser opened??

I have recently noticed my ACER8943-/Windows 7 - 64bit, laptop#1 is suddenly & 'constantly' uploading & downloading at the "same time" and at an incredible rate. (approx. 1MG every 10 minutes). I am with an IPS which has a capped 25G per month and they alerted me because I have always stayed within the range of 5 to 10 Gigs' max per month for years. I then opened my MS Resource Monitor and saw the constant flow of traffic - even when a browser isn't even open!!!! I'm so confused.

I checked for any p2p programs that may be running in the background and found only one. I uninstalled it from my programs and, this did not help in any way. I have also ran 2 or 3 anti-virus's, (nothing found), I even went to my firewall control and "stopped all incoming and outgoing traffic"- and it was still sending/receiving. I also visited the SHIELDS UP website - which verified I was running in STEALTH mode and nothing could penetrate any ports. What a crock! "MY HEAD HURTS" I've searched the web for 24hrs straight;( ,,, and found nothing that even slows the rates down.

I've contacted my ISP, and they said there is nothing they can do because they believe I have a Trojan/virus. I only suspected the one laptop at the time, but then I went to use my old HP/Windows XP laptop#2. I decided to check things out by installing ROKARIO (bandwidth monitor) and found the same problem happening there.

Here's where it begins to get even more confusing, or at least makes NO sense at all! I'm not even sure if its related, but I thought the more info I can give, the better idea you may have to help me fix this mess.

I "use" to have my HP laptop connected to my Desktop/PC and ran a home network with all 3 devices communicating. But, approx. 2 mths ago, my nephew moved in, and I removed the HP laptop from my home office (router)- but still connected to the network (b/c it's a wireless). So, in short, I am not sure if he has hit the wrong link, or scooped up a lovely worm and now it's worked its way through my whole network, because it appears to be happening on my dinosaur PC/Compaq which is wired to the router & modem - "AND" no-one has used it for months (except for updates from time to time - by me, but that's it. Is it even possible for a worm/virus to travel through a home network? The dinosaur PC doesn't seem to have the same fast upload/download rate as the laptops, but it is indeed doing the same thing - even with no browser open?? I have checked all 3 computers for start-up programs running in background, and many other things, but have failed at everything to stop this activity.

The high non-stop streaming rate has been about a month and a bit. I really am scratching my head on this one. The ONLY "common denominator" is that my 19yr nephew used both laptops during this time frame???/ hmmmm...I have to only wonder what the heck he's done....

Could you please help me? PLEASE, PLEASE, I'm on my knees.... ;(

Please advise. TYIA ,
Klinker

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users