Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot Failure

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 joeakron

joeakron

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:26 PM

I have a 2 year old Compac Presario SR5510F. It has two memory slots. Each slot has a Samsung PC2-6400 chip. The computer turn-on reaches the Compac Logo page then freezes. Cannot go into Bios or to the Boot page. If I remove one of the memory sticks the computer boots and works fine, just a little slower. I move that memory stick to the next slot and the computer boots. I repeat that process with the 2nd memory stick, and everything works fine. I install both sticks and the boot fails.
I ran Microsoft's Exteneded Memory Test and both sticks passed.

Are there any more test I can run to pinpoint the problem or is it a compatibility problem between the 2 memory chips?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 10 February 2011 - 04:00 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

I read your complaint and see where you are mentioning Samsung PC2-6400 memory sticks, I am assuming you have two of the same sticks by the way you described your set up.
Correct me if I am wrong.

Now you have both sticks on the motherboard at the same time, you have a no boot issue with your computer.

If you run one stick at a time in either RAM slot, you get a full boot up with no problems.

Both sticks pass the memory diagnostic tests.

I realize it sounds like an echo in here, but I like to think out loud in a thread so others can follow my chain of thought. :)

It appears to me that both your RAM sticks are from the same manufacture, same type and same amount of storage.

Here is a link to your computers specs.

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01463074&lang=en&cc=us&taskId=115&contentType=SupportFAQ&prodSeriesId=3733098&prodTypeId=12454

Memory
2 GB
•Amount: 2 GB
•Speed: PC2-6400 MB/sec
Memory upgrade information
•Dual channel memory architecture
•Four 240-pin DDR2 DIMM sockets
•Supported DIMM types:
◦PC2-4200 (533 MHz)
◦PC2-5300 (667 MHz)
◦PC2-6400 (800 MHz)
•Non-ECC memory only, unbuffered
•Supports 2GB DDR2 DIMMs
•Supports up to 4 GB*
◦32 bit PCs cannot address a full 4.0 GB of memory

I want to research the brand of memory you have to see if there is any issues with it working with this motherboard.

I will watch for your reply.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 joeakron

joeakron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2011 - 06:38 PM

Bruce, you are correct. The memory sticks are identical. In reading Microsoft data, they say that when 2 sticks do a parity check on bootup, and there is a slight disagreement, in nano seconds, that the computer will not boot. That some computers have the ability in bios to adjust the dwell read time to a longer span time, so the two do not disagree. I could not fins any such adjustment in this computer or could not find a way to test this so called dwell time.
Thanks for your help.
Joe

#4 Bill253

Bill253

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 10 February 2011 - 11:11 PM

Man, talk about being picky... you'd sure think that two DIMMS of the same model number from the same manufacturer would be compatible.

So it strikes me that one possible solution would be to get a dual channel kit (matched pair) like this one might do the trick.

#5 Bill253

Bill253

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2011 - 11:12 PM

Man, talk about being picky... you'd sure think that two DIMMS of the same model number from the same manufacturer would be compatible.

So it strikes me that one possible solution would be to get a dual channel kit (matched pair) like this one might do the trick.

It hasn't always been this way, has it? Did it come with one stick and then you picked up another?

#6 joeakron

joeakron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2011 - 11:25 PM

Thanks for the link for a matched pair. I was looking for 2 new sticks but they all ran about $75 to $95. I will buy the pair you suggested.

The problem pair came with the computer. Bought it about 2 years ago...new. Never had the case opened. A few weeks ago, I started to hevepoblems booting or coming back from a logged off position, I thought it might be a virus or Trojan. I tried various software to look for that kind of problem, but found none. The problem got to the final point of never booting.
I did read the Microsoft document that this problem, though rare, could happen.

Thanks again for your suggestion.

Joeakron

#7 Bill253

Bill253

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2011 - 12:20 AM

I can't say for sure this will fix your problem, and there are lots of other places to buy from and other brands of dual channel kits to choose from. This kit just looked like it had good reviews at a reasonable price.

Your specs say the PC is capable of holding up to 4 GB if you want to spend the extra $$$. Be aware that ANY 32 bit OS can only address up to about 3.5 GB of memory (as noted in the specs that MrBruce posted above (thanks MRBruce! - hope I didn't step on any toes by jumping in here).

You might also like to look at what the Compaq site has to say about upgrading RAM by following this link .

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 11 February 2011 - 01:43 AM

(thanks MRBruce! - hope I didn't step on any toes by jumping in here).

You did not by any means step on my toes by jumping in here. In fact, I encourage this from our BC membership, that is the purpose of this forum board and two heads are always better than one.

Perhaps my staff title of Advisor gave you the impression that ONLY I am entitled to provide answers or solutions to our membership.
This is just not the case here at Bleepingcomputer.

Your input in my opinion, IS most welcomed!

Thank you for becoming a member of Bleepingcomputer forum board. :)

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#9 joeakron

joeakron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2011 - 12:10 PM

Thanks for all your help. A GREAT forum!!!

#10 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 11 February 2011 - 05:04 PM

One thing you might try is to take both sticks out and clean the slots with some compressed air and maybe a small soft brush. I use a car detail brush for things like this.
Maybe one of the slots are dirty.

"I read your complaint " gee Bruce you sound like Judge Judy!
In the beginning there was the command line.

#11 joeakron

joeakron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2011 - 06:38 PM

Great idea. I'll give it a try. Maybe a QTip with MEK would help.
Thanks
Joe

#12 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2011 - 06:58 PM

Maybe a QTip with MEK would help.

I dont think I would use a QTip It might leave cotton lint. Whats MEK?

A soft toothbrush would work or even a small artist paintbrush.
Basically something soft that wont leave lint.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#13 Bill253

Bill253

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2011 - 07:52 PM

MEK = methyl ethyl ketone. A solvent / degreaser.

A definition from Wikipedia: 'In chemistry and industry methyl ethyl ketone, a solvent, used also to weld some plastics'

I would be concerned about using this using this as it might deform the plastic holding your slots together.

They used to make spray 'contact cleaner' but I think that was mostly banned due to it's being primarily CFC's. Don't know what they use nowadays.

#14 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2011 - 08:05 PM

Do not use MEK. Not only is it extremely toxic, as stated by Bill253, it could very well damage\warp some plastic.

Would suggest isopropyl alcohol if you insist on using anything other then what Eyesee suggests. Being sure the power is off of course.

#15 joeakron

joeakron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2011 - 10:03 PM

Thanks for the warning from both of you.

Joe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users