Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

usb 2.0 pen drive

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 lloydmg

lloydmg

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:02 PM

I just reloaded an HP P4 desktop machine with XP pro. everything was fine throughout the load process. Applied all the updates. I used a cd to load the OS but a Pen drive to load all of the working software. We used the USB 2.0 pen drives for a backup of quickbooks. The next day we tried to use the Pen drive again and the operating system said the USB device was unrecognizable. We tried several other types of USB devices, USB mice worked, a USB bluetooth device worked but none of 6 USB pen drives worked. We tested all of the USB drives in a few other machines and they worked fine. We turned the machine off and back on with no luck. Any ideas as to what could have corrupted the system not to accept a USB pen drive and what will fix it.
LMG

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:11 PM

Is this drive seen in the Device Manager or My Computer?

Microsoft has an article which is rather lengthy and covers so much territory that I wonder if they even know what is causing this. You can read it here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 lloydmg

lloydmg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:19 PM

the drive is not seen anywhere.
thanks

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,464 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:46 PM

There are a couple of things that you can try. Open the Device Manager and right click on Computer, click on Scan for hardware changes.

While in the Device Manager scroll down to Universal Serial Bus controllers and expand the list. Right-click a USB Root Hub in the list, and then click Properties. Click on the Power Management tab, remove the check mark in the box for Allow the computer to turn off ths device to save power, then OK.

Repeat this with each USB Root Hub in the list.

Edited by dc3, 09 February 2011 - 11:01 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Blathnat

Blathnat

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 10 February 2011 - 06:08 PM

I finally solved this issue in my machine after a couple of months and several hours of tinkering. I have a USB printer installed which appears to have confused the controller. After unplugging the printer and plugging in the thumb drive, it worked perfectly. I was then able to plug in the printer again and still read the drive. I don't know what will happen after a reboot, but at least I can access data again even if I have to unplug the printer.

#6 lloydmg

lloydmg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2011 - 11:09 PM

Thanks for the help.
LMG

#7 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2011 - 11:47 PM

Were you able to solve the problem?

If so. It is always appreciated when the fix is posted so others may benefit as well.

If not then it does not mean all possibilities at a fix may have yet been tried yet.

#8 lloydmg

lloydmg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2011 - 04:03 PM

The HP printer was the problem but, here is what's interesting. when the printer is unpluged the USB stick works, OK. I tried a small 256 mb stick and it worked but nothing larger will work. I unpluged the HP printer and used a USB hub to plug the printer into and all worked. The only thing I can think of is the printer is drawing too much power from the port and the hub with an external power adapter solved the problem. thanks everyone for your help.
lloydmg

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,464 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2011 - 06:22 PM

Usually if the USB port is drawing too much current it will give a specific warning of that nature.

#10 lloydmg

lloydmg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2011 - 07:11 PM

I agree the usb controller normally gives a message regarding the USB power but, I can't imaging what else it could be. Since I found the work around both the customer and I am happy. Thanks for your comment.
lmgraham

#11 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2011 - 07:45 PM

I tried a small 256 mb stick and it worked but nothing larger will work.

Have seen this behavior before. And as noted Windows would normally throw an error.

Example. I have a name brand keyboard with two USB ports. Older, smaller capacity flash drives work fine. Larger, seem`s 1 Gig and older will not function.

I do know that USB ports can have two amperage ratings. .5 mA up to 1. mA. Of course externally powered hubs are the most reliable and efficient at providing a full 1 mA
Unsure if USB 3.0 increases the mA at all or not. < But really unrelated in this matter.

Still really does not explain the lack of an error. Unless the error reporting has been disabled which can be done.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users