Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell XPS M1530 DVD won't eject from slot drive

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 cap2587

cap2587

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 09 February 2011 - 09:35 PM

I have dell XPS M1530 that has a DVD stuck in the slot drive. You can hear it try and eject by making the sound, but nothing comes out. I tried to eject prior to windows loading, but had no luck. What are my options. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,011 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:19 PM

Take a look around the area where the drive should be coming out when it ejects. You should find a tiny hole. Push a stick pin or sewing needle into the hole, this should make the drive come out.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:20 PM

Try inspecting the drive for a pin hole located just below the dvd drive access door.
this will require using an object such as a tooth pick (Note: if tooth pick is too large in diameter, try shaving it down a bit so it fits the hole without getting stuck)

It will take a bit of precision to get it right, but insert the tooth pick into the hole and push inward, if you have successfully hit the manual eject wheel, the tray will start to move out-wards, keep pushing until you can get your hand on the tray and pull it the rest of the way out to retrieve the disk.

If this fails to work, the disk could have dislodged from the spindle and is floating around in the drive preventing it from ejecting.
Try turning the computer up-side-down, then right side up several times until the manual attempt works to discharge the tray.

In extreme cases, you may have to remove the drive, remove the screws holding the covers on until you have access to freely remove the stuck disk.

Warning: if you value this disk, DO NOT attempt to pry the access door open using any tools such as screw drivers, you will no doubt damage the disk doing it this way!

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:43 PM

Thanks for the replies. I do not see this tiny pin hole anywhere near the slot drive. There is a piece of fabric covering the place where the DVD inserts. When I pry this up or down I still don't see this hole. Are you positive that this model will have that hole. Appreciate your help.

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2011 - 11:08 PM

I see where your laptop is designed differently as per this image.

Attached File  m1530-42.jpg   50.24KB   12 downloads

As far as I can see, you will most likely have to dismantle your laptop to remove the drive and disassemble the drive.

Before you do this, check the laptop on the bottom side near the drive to see if there is a screw that holds the drive into place.

I can not see if from images if this is possible, but its worth a look.

If the drive is encased in the laptop housing and there are no manual discharge holes on the bottom side, you will have no choice but to open the laptop, to remove the drive.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2011 - 11:30 PM

To help you in case you decide to open your laptop, I am providing a url to a web site that has pictorial instructions on how to open up a laptop.

This page has Dell laptops on it, if you scroll down this page, you will see several links for the XPS M1530 laptop.

http://www.insidemylaptop.com/category/4-dell-laptops/page/2/

This web site also has other laptops on it as well and in thee event, the ones for the M1530 do not help you with the dvd drive, check out the other Dell laptops on this site, some use the same dvd drive yours has installed.

Bruce.

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2011 - 08:38 AM

This may or may not work, but it won't hurt. Shut down the system. As soon as you restart, press the eject button a few times. This will attempt to eject the disk before the system can try to start reading it. Let us know.

#8 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2011 - 10:59 PM

I went ahead and dissasembled the laptop to get to the Optical Drive. The Dell XPS is a real pain to take apart. I eventually got the CD out that was stuck. I went ahead and put everything back together again. Loaded a CD back into the Drive when turned on, but the same problem arose. It would not eject the CD and sounds like it is churning trying to get it out. Does this mean the only option is to replace the CD drive. Thoughts? Thanks for the great responses so far.

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2011 - 04:04 AM

I can relate to your situation.

I have an older desktop CD burner that keeps failing to discharge a disk and although its a large unit its still put together very awkwardly and a pain to work on with out taking the the whole drive apart and thus making it impossible to determine what is amiss with it.

My thinking is because it is an old drive, Circa 1998, the plastic disk tray is warped and getting snagged somewhere.

Your situation is a bit more complex because of the miniature size of your DVD drive.

You may have a situation where something has become warped and it is getting caught somewhere inside.

Make sure that magnetic disk hold-down spindle is not what is warped.

This spindle is held in place by a plastic cross piece with a hole in it for the hold down disk to rest in.

If this cross piece becomes warped and sags down, the hold down disk does not move enough out of the way to allow the CD or DVD to discharge.

This disk is usually a white nylon disk with a magnetic ring on it, it helps hold the CD or DVD disk to the motorized disk drive spindle.

Also, make sure that the drive spindle and laser assembly is successfully lowering its self enough to allow the disk tray to discharge the disk.

If it does not lower to its full resting point for any reason, there would not be enough clearance for the disk to eject correctly and the disk will become hung up on the drive spindle and hold down disk.

Bruce.

#10 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2011 - 04:13 AM

I had than after thought I want to add to this thread, make sure your DVD or CD is not the one that is warped, try placing it on a flat surface to determine this.

Also, try another disk in the drive to see if it too gets stuck.

If it does, then what I posted above would hold true as to what the problem is.

Bruce.

#11 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2011 - 07:50 AM

k. I went ahead and put everything back together again. Loaded a CD back into the Drive when turned on, but the same problem arose. It would not eject the CD and sounds like it is churning trying to get it out. Does this mean the only option is to replace the CD drive. Thoughts?

If the same thing happens with multiple disks, yes - replace the drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users