Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell 4550 - What To Get For A 2ndary Hard-drive?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BLAZE86

BLAZE86

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 15 December 2005 - 10:55 PM

Atm.. I have a highly crowded 30gb Hard-Drive.. Sadly.. I had to reinstall XP.. and didn't uninstall XP first.. heh so It ended up eating about 10gb's off of my 30gb's.. I have no idea what hard-drive to get atm to add on.. my computer has enough space under the 30gb one.. with about like 3 slots or so, so i defiantly know I can get a 2ndary hard-drive.. I have no idea also if i need to get anything else besides just the hard-drive itself.. all I know is that I need a sata 2 way cable now because i'm upgrading to 2 hard-drives.. was also wondering.. when I do order the Hard-drive itself do I need to order like a cover or something for it or a containter or something too?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 BLAZE86

BLAZE86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2005 - 02:09 AM

Dell told me I have a seagate ata 30gb harddrive atm.. hmm

#3 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2005 - 02:27 AM

Dear Blaze,

I just checked out your computer on Dell's site and it looks like there is an IDE drive in the computer. It has a ribbon cable and regular power cord.

Here is the page:Dell website

Maybe it is an old picture.

Now, if you do have SATA connections you should see two cables hooked to your drive. The cable with the longer connector (15 pin) is your power.

Oh I forgot, [/b]PLEASE UNPLUG COMPUTER BEFORE ENTERING CASE![b]

Ok, the power cable could be hooked up two different ways. One, the power supply already has a two connection cable with the longer connector (15 pin). Two, it might have an adapter on the power supply plug going from 4 pin to the 15 pin.

If number one, then all you need is a SATA cable and hard drive. If number two, then you need a SATA cable, a SATA power adapter, and a hard drive.

Like you said earlier, I bet they make a 4 pin split to two 15 pin SATA connectors.

To purchase a new hard drive. Here is a nice upgrade at a nice price:Hard Drive

Tis the season. Should you buy OEM or Retail? It is cheaper to buy OEM but you get nothing but a hard drive. While with Christmas deals going on everywhere, you might get the Retail version cheaper.

The reason I went with a 80GB upgrade is that I don't know what your mother board is capable of handling.

I will end the very long post here, let us know if you have more questions.

junkdk :thumbsup:

Edited by junkdk, 16 December 2005 - 02:34 AM.

Your Hardware Guide.

#4 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2005 - 02:40 AM

Dear Blaze,

What? Dell put a Seagate drive in your computer? I doubt that seriously. They are the best drives you can get for the money.

If you want to upgrade to a secondary Seagate drive, well that will cost you.

I think someone is playing with you.

junkdk :thumbsup:
Your Hardware Guide.

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 16 December 2005 - 04:58 AM

You should be able to put what ever size drive you want. I would not order from Dell. Replacement and upgrade part are cost prohibitive. Go to http://www.pricewatch.com and browses the selection of hard drives. The bigger the better. You may run into a limitation issue but most drives come with utilities to over come this issue.
You mentioned double installing XP on the same drive? If chewed up 10gb of space. Why are you not formatting te drive and reinstalling it again? You may have created an archive of the original install. If so you may want to consider removing it. That would be a option since you are running short of hard drive space.
You may start having problems if you run below 20% of free disk space. XP uses that space for normal operations.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users