Posted 10 February 2011 - 08:31 AM
You are better off having only one anti virus utility installed. If Avast is your choice, uninstall AVG. You seem to be doing a lot of scanning - are you doing anything that you think is potentially dangerous? Personally, I only run full scans once a month or so. And to answer your question, here's what I would suggest:
1) ONE good AV always resident and updated (Avast is fine as a free option).
2) Either Super AntiSpyware or MalwareBytes (or both if you prefer) for anti-spyware protection, scanning on a regular basis (again, I do it about once a month - but that's me). Spybot is considered "old school" and I uninstalled it on all systems years ago.
3) Spyware Blaster as passive protection (does not run resident) for your browsers (it's free - update the definitions weekly).
4) If you're using a router with a NAT, then Windows Firewall is fine. If not, a 3rd party firewall is up to you.
5) Most important is "smart computing" (never open email attachments unless you are certain you know they are safe, don't visit questionable sites, don't download warez or torrents or anything that might be potentially dangerous, etc).