Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

anti-malware best practice for W7

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 IanWorthington

IanWorthington

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 09 February 2011 - 09:22 PM

Hi --

I'm just installing W7 and I'm wondering what's current best practice for anti-malware software.

On XP I'm using avast-free as resident and nightly scanning, though I also have AVG-free non-resident and running once a week.

I also run Spybot S&D nightly and malwarebytes whenever there's anything odd looking.

And Sunbelt Personal Firewall, though that seems to have gome a bit flaky these days.

I switched from AVG to avast after getting a bunch of false positives, but I'm not sure avast is really any better.

Do I really need all this? Alternatives? Suggestions welcome.

i

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 09 February 2011 - 09:29 PM

You shouldn't run two active anti virus programs as they will tend to create false positives and other complications.

Malwarebytes currently is highly recommended here.

Now days you need an anti virus and a firewall at least. Most people will also suggest having a malware and spyware program that you keep updated and run scan on a regular basis. Aside from Malwarebytes I can also suggest SUPERAntiSpyware.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 IanWorthington

IanWorthington
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 09 February 2011 - 09:53 PM

Thanks dc3, but only avast is "active". AVG is turned off and only used for weekly scanning.

i

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 10 February 2011 - 08:31 AM

You are better off having only one anti virus utility installed. If Avast is your choice, uninstall AVG. You seem to be doing a lot of scanning - are you doing anything that you think is potentially dangerous? Personally, I only run full scans once a month or so. And to answer your question, here's what I would suggest:

1) ONE good AV always resident and updated (Avast is fine as a free option).
2) Either Super AntiSpyware or MalwareBytes (or both if you prefer) for anti-spyware protection, scanning on a regular basis (again, I do it about once a month - but that's me). Spybot is considered "old school" and I uninstalled it on all systems years ago.
3) Spyware Blaster as passive protection (does not run resident) for your browsers (it's free - update the definitions weekly).
4) If you're using a router with a NAT, then Windows Firewall is fine. If not, a 3rd party firewall is up to you.
5) Most important is "smart computing" (never open email attachments unless you are certain you know they are safe, don't visit questionable sites, don't download warez or torrents or anything that might be potentially dangerous, etc).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users