Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Load Optimized Defaults

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Da Monkey Man

Da Monkey Man

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 09 February 2011 - 07:31 PM

What does "Load Optimized Defaults" do in BIOS? I am curious, I have a problem and this might be one of my options.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,749 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2011 - 09:18 PM

It loads the default settings...which are supposed to provide the best chance of booting.

But...if the system was set up via a network install, then it may make the boot order one that produces an error...as the system tries to boot from a network connection, rather than the hard drive or optical drive.

I would suggest to always check what the boot options are...after using/loading the optimized defaults. If the first option is not the hard drive, then I would change it (assuming that I have already installed Windows on a hard drive).

More Info

Louis

#3 Da Monkey Man

Da Monkey Man
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:25 PM

Oh Ok. The boot order now is Floppy, Hard Disk, DVD Drive.

Well, the problem I am having now is that after Verifying DMI Pool... it shows "Boot from CD: Disk Boot Failure", put in the system disk (or a variation like that). It will not get past that.

Do you have any idea if "Load Optimized Defaults" can be problematic? If not, I think I may try it.

Thanks.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 09 February 2011 - 11:10 PM

As Louis suggested, you should make the hdd the first device in the boot order. Try this and let us know what happens.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Da Monkey Man

Da Monkey Man
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2011 - 11:22 PM

Ok thanks for the reply, will try this tomorrow. I dont have access to it now.

#6 Da Monkey Man

Da Monkey Man
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2011 - 05:05 PM

Ok, I set Hard Disk as first boot priority but still get the "Disk Boot Failure" Any other ideas?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,749 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2011 - 05:14 PM

Yes...run the appropriate diagnostic on the hard drive.

Free Hard Drive Testing Tools - Hard Drive Diagnostics - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm

Louis

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 10 February 2011 - 05:15 PM

Are you using a RAID configuration?
If not, has anything unusual occurred since the last time the system booted properly? In other works, what led up to this?

#9 Da Monkey Man

Da Monkey Man
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2011 - 05:33 PM

Ok, I am a newbie with computers so I am a bit confused. Sorry if my answer sounds weird.

Louis: I have 2 HDD, 1 is Western Digital where I store my games, system files, etc. The other one is Maxtor where I store documents and music files. Which diagnostic tool would I need to use? I would be guessing WD?

Allan: What is a RAID configuration? Yes, A lot of things happened before this "Disk Boot Failure" Maybe 2-3 days before this occurred, the DVD-RW drive disappeared from "My Computer" as well as the Maxtor Hard drive (D:). Also in those 2-3 days, after booting, there usually a chkdsk on my (D:) Drive. On the day I received the "Disk Boot Failure" message, I turned my machine on normally and walked out. Maybe 2-3 minutes later, I saw the "Disk Boot Failure" message.

In addition, a "Local Disk" with a red question mark appeared labeled (F:) which is usually my removable storage. Like if I plugged in a flash drive, it will be labeled (F:). Could all this be some power issue?

Regardless, I think I will be getting a new computer since it is a 5 year old machine. Do you think inserting the system CD will solve the problem? I don't have it at the moment but may be getting it shortly.

Thank you both for replying.

-Monkey Man

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,749 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2011 - 06:04 PM

Run the diagnostic on the drive which contains the Windows O/S.

More General Info On Disk Boot Failure Error

Louis

#11 Da Monkey Man

Da Monkey Man
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2011 - 06:56 PM

Should i do Quick test or extended test?

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,484 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2011 - 11:23 PM

Do the extended test.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#13 Da Monkey Man

Da Monkey Man
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2011 - 08:31 AM

What does it mean when it says DOS bootable diskette? Is it just a normal floppy or do I have to do something to it first before extracting files into it?

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,484 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2011 - 10:18 AM

Try these instructions.

SeaTools for Windows | Seagate

#15 Da Monkey Man

Da Monkey Man
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2011 - 11:24 AM

I installed my O/S on a WD Raptor though.

http://pcsupport.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi=1&sdn=pcsupport&cdn=compute&tm=16&f=11&su=p504.1.336.ip_&tt=3&bt=1&bts=1&zu=http%3A//support.wdc.com/product/download.asp%3Flang%3Den

I was referring to Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users