Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Desktop Computer Won't Start

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ash0162

ash0162

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 09 February 2011 - 07:09 PM

I have an HP desktop with XP which was running slow. I cleaned out the fans which had a thick layer dust on it with a vac and a dust can. After putting the cover back on the computer would not start. The fans are running fine but the monitor would not turn on. I thought it would be the monitor pin and installed a backup PCI video card to plug the monitor in, but sill no luck! The monitor is working fine as I checked with a different desktop. I also tried replacing the hard drive but even that does not solve it. I did wear the anti-static bracelet when working on the fans and made sure not to touch anything on the motherboard. There is power on the board as the 2 fans are running.

Any help is appreciated.

Edited by hamluis, 09 February 2011 - 09:11 PM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:37 PM

Welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

I have yet to publish my tutorial on how to safely clean out a computer for dust issues, but it is still on the drawing board at this moment.

One of the number one warnings I have in my tutorial is NOT to use a vacuum cleaner to clean out a computer.
I will tell you why, motherboards have special jumpers that allow for different settings based on how a computer is built and put together.

These jumpers are designed to make a connection between two pins that create a circuit, these jumpers are designed to be moved between 3 pins in some cases, where the jumper acts as a switch, pins 1 and 2 are off, pins 2 and 3 are on.

Sometimes the jumper just makes a connection between 2 pins only to be in the ON state and no pin to be in the OFF state.

These jumpers are coated with plastic, usually black in color and can be sucked off of the pins very easily by using a device such as a vacuum cleaner that has high suction, you'd actually have no clue it even happened until your done with the cleaning and you attempt to start your computer up again.

Besides the obvious of checking for a loose connector related to a power harness from the PSU, you now have to check your motherboard for a possible missing jumper your vacuum cleaner may have sucked up.

I do not suggest anyone use a vacuum cleaner for this reason and also because there is a risk for stray ESD which can zap your motherboard into being a paper weight.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Bill253

Bill253

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 10 February 2011 - 12:39 AM

It won't help fix this problem, but for reference there's a 'Cleaning the Interior of your PC' tutorial on the site. It's in the Tutorial section, or you can click here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users