Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will these new spec be good enough?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 KiraxYamato

KiraxYamato

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 09 February 2011 - 06:53 PM

Currently I am running . . .

Custom Built
OS - Windows 7 64-Bit
Motherboard - ECS GF8200A
Memory - 2GB DDR2 667
Video Card - GeForce 9500GT

I do a lot of video editing and less gaming. So I found couple of budget items hoping my computer wont lag.

This is what I want to upgrade.
Posted Image

The Asus Motherboard I heard is a high-end motherboard is very excellent for unlocking cores
AMD Phenom X2 BE - I know you can unlock this to a Quad and maximize it to 4.0GHz with proper tools
Memory - 8GB DDR3 for video editing such I will have a massive of programs open.

What is your thoughts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 09 February 2011 - 08:15 PM

790x, if your not planning on crossfiring is a good chipset, and you are correct-in most cases, a phenom II x2 will have unlockable cores. What to remember though, is that oftentimes these cores are locked for a reason-one of more of them are defective, so AMD just locked the defective cores and sold them as a dual core-so sometimes they will unlock and run stable, other times they won't-only way to get a garenteed working stable quad core, is to buy a quad core. Muskin is a good memory manufacturer, I am using them right now, runs solid though the heatspreaders arnt really designed to overclock with so watch out. And if your planning on overclocking the CPU invest in good aftermarket cooling, such as a Zalman CNPS10x flex or a Coolermaster V10, fastest way to fry a CPU and/or motherboard is attempt a major overclock with improper cooling.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:23 PM

That's a good setup, but I would get the latest AMD 8 series chipset over the aging 7 series since it has USB 3.0 and SATA 6 in the chipset. If you're not planning on using Crossfire, the MSI 870A-G54 AM3 AMD 870 would be a good choice. The Asus AMD board you chose isn't high-end but more mid-range. Aside from the older chipset, AMD numbers them so consumers know what to expect. So AMD 870 or 770 are considered base chipsets, subsequent chipsets add onto these. The 880G, 790X, 890GX are mid-range choices with a few extra bells and whistles, the 790FX and the 890FX are the high-end chipsets which are considered flagship products. Also, the only way to get a guaranteed quad core is to actually buy one, AMD locks defective cores so system stability may be compromised if you unlock them. AMD will be showing off their new CPU's at CeBIT in early March, you may want to consider holding off until then if you are able. With video editing, the more memory you have the better, this is especially true if those editing programs are designed to be native 64-bit. Remember, you will need to reinstall Windows and possibly repurchase it if you are not using a full, boxed, retail edition of Windows. The license defines a PC by the motherboard, so, new motherboard equals a new PC. OEM versions of Windows are restricted to one PC, ever, while the other editions can be moved. This is a legal restriction, not a technical one, you can reinstall OEM editions normally and phone activate.

3939.png

#4 KiraxYamato

KiraxYamato
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2011 - 11:43 PM

I thought Windows are implanted in the HDD, so I have to restart everything? I have the retail disc will don't work?

#5 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 10 February 2011 - 12:43 AM

You are gonna have to reformat your hard drive and buy the retail disc.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2011 - 07:36 PM

You have to reinstall Windows if you are replacing the motherboard. This is because Windows configures various drivers and settings based on the motherboard, if you simply put a new one in and started it up, Windows would not be able load. Thus, you have to reinstall Windows and all of your applications, after backing up your data. If you have a full, boxed, retail version of Windows, you are within the license to move it to another PC. If you have an OEM or System Builder version, typically already installed once you get your PC, you will have to buy Windows. If you're a student, your college may subscribe to MSDNAA where you can get it for free, also, some businesses may have discounts for Windows. If you need to buy Windows, you can get it from Newegg here.

3939.png

#7 KiraxYamato

KiraxYamato
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2011 - 11:00 PM

I got a box at bestbuy when I built my computer its been 2 years though will it be okay?

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2011 - 06:51 PM

Is it Windows 7? Is that box you got at Best Buy an Upgrade or Full edition?

3939.png

#9 KiraxYamato

KiraxYamato
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2011 - 08:29 PM

a full edition has a serial key and all.

#10 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2011 - 10:33 PM

Then you're good to go! You will probably need to phone activate, but that's no big deal. What are your new PC's final specs?

3939.png

#11 KiraxYamato

KiraxYamato
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:32 PM

Sweetness.

Since I already own the internal hdd, cases and stuff this is my final spec

OS - Windows 7 64-Bit
Motherboard - MSI 870A-G54 AM3 AMD 870
CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 965 (Guess its better to be safe then sorry).
Memory - 8GB DDR3 1066
Capacity - 1TB Western Digital Internal
PSU - 600w
5 Cooling fans

Upgrading next
XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770
ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro

So basically my files that are store in the internal hdd are safe? I just got to reinstall my Windows and the programs and the files won't be corrupted or will they?

Edited by KiraxYamato, 14 February 2011 - 08:32 PM.

#12 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2011 - 10:55 PM

I suggest two alterations if you're willing. Though the motherboard is capable of operating with DDR3-1066 RAM, the default RAM for AM3 motherboards is DDR3-1333, such as the CORSAIR 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333. The second alteration is switching to the Phenom II X4 955. Both the 965 and 955 are the same hardware, just with different multipliers and pricetags. You can buy a 955 and overclock it to 965, or 970, levels and save some cash. This depends on whether or not you're willing to go into the BIOS to do the overclocking.

Your files are safe if they are not on C:, the drive holding Windows. This drive will be formatted during the clean install.

3939.png

#13 KiraxYamato

KiraxYamato
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2011 - 05:12 PM

Will do that I will change the rams and and save money by using x4 955 since I probably wont see any different.

My files are in the c drive right now im setting a back up into my portable 320GB and creating a system repair disc is that all I need to do?

#14 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2011 - 10:37 PM

If you backup the data files (music, movies, videos, game saves, documents, etc.) to that portable drive, they will be fine. All you have to do, once you have the new hardware installed and Windows reinstalled, is simply copy the stuff back over to the C:. You don't need to create a system repair disc. Make certain you have copied to your portable drive all of the files you want to keep before you install new hardware, once the drive is formatted, it is gone for good. I usually suggest that most people have two or more hard drives in their computer, one, C:, holds Windows and all of the applications, the other drive will hold all of the data, such as music, movies, and such. That way, in an upgrade, Windows will automatically see the other drive and the user won't have to do anything, or, if a drive fails you get to at least keep something.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users