Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

update kb971029, autoplay restrictions, Why?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 991 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 09 February 2011 - 04:09 PM

I am not sure if I need this or how why it's important. I have found no trouble yet without it. The windows update notification is telling me this is an important update, saying "restrict autorun entries in the autoplay dialog to only CD and DVD drives,". On the left is state Important but in the description it says Recommended Update. Give some useful informative comments. Do we need this update? kb971029.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 doinmeedin

doinmeedin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 09 February 2011 - 04:25 PM

Just a little write up fom microsoft http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971029 click the link !

If life is not an option then why are we not given the option in the first place !

#3 VickyM72

VickyM72

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 10 February 2011 - 12:17 AM

Hey cafejose!
I just installed all of the recent important updates and that was one of them. It erased all of my themes except for the Windows95-looking ones(and I had a LOT of themes). I read on another site that it happened to someone else, so I'm not alone on this. I am waiting until this becomes a bigger issue and Microsoft addresses it before I do anything, so I would recommend against installing it for now. :)

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 10 February 2011 - 12:45 AM

While auto-runs is a known and finally admitted by MS security risk. There are other ways to disable it. However the "other ways" that I am aware of disable it for all drives\devices. Meaning it is not as selective as the MS update seems to be in only disabling it for devices other then the CD-DVD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users