Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Accidentally deleted default admin user in Windows XP

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Amelia G

Amelia G

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 09 February 2011 - 03:42 PM

I tried to follow this procedure: http://www.ehow.com/how_5078719_block-websites-except-one.html I have been using my default admin account for ages on this Windows XP machine.

The system prompted me to create a Computer Admin account and then allowed me to set up a limited account.

Now my default admin account has disappeared. It has taken many things I need with it, including my Photoshop actions and access to some software and all of my saved passwords in FireFox and IE.

I have tried a system restore to no avail. Suggestions on how to get my default admin user back would be much appreciated. That user was passworded and the ones currently appearing are not and I don't really even get how, with any security features at all, it would be possible to set up a new admin account and delete the old one, thus disabling password access on a computer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 doinmeedin

doinmeedin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 09 February 2011 - 03:59 PM

Try this:
Reboot into Safe Mode, it should show A choice of Administrator or user account, choose Administrator, and then create a new account and make it Administrator, Reboot back to normal mode and boot into this account :huh:

Good Luck !

Edited by doinmeedin, 09 February 2011 - 03:59 PM.

If life is not an option then why are we not given the option in the first place !

#3 Amelia G

Amelia G
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 09 February 2011 - 04:31 PM

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy!

Safemode reboot and deleting newly created accounts worked.

Phew.

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 09 February 2011 - 04:34 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum!

While you are in safe mode as admin, it might not be a bad idea to back your stuff up just in case as this sounds a bit odd to me. I thought that there always had to be at least one admin account with XP. Might be wrong though.

Does the default admin account appear when you try to switch users?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 09 February 2011 - 04:36 PM

Glad you got it to work!

I would still back up though just in case.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#6 doinmeedin

doinmeedin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 10 February 2011 - 08:00 AM

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy!

Safemode reboot and deleting newly created accounts worked.

Phew.

Glad i could be of help Amelia G, also glad your up and running again !
Well done !

If life is not an option then why are we not given the option in the first place !

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users