Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which problematic Windows updates should I avoid?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 M332

M332

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 09 February 2011 - 03:25 PM

Is there a list of them posted somewhere? After several different searches I'm not finding them online other than KB977165 which causes the BSOD.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 09 February 2011 - 04:02 PM

To the best of my knowledge no such list exists.

Many times once an update is known to cause problems it is pulled until fixed. Many times MS will never acknowledge the a problem ever happened. Only those who have experienced the problem or those asked to help attempt to fix the problem caused are ever aware of it.

Many times the problem update is only a problem for those running a particular make\model of PC, a particular third party program(s), or someone already infected with the exploit that the update\patch is attempting to correct.

It is for that reason that I actually run with MS auto-updates off. Unless it is an extremely critical update, released out of cycle, MS only pushes out updates the second Tuesday of every month now.
Agreed it can be a bit of a PITA remembering to check but I have found it far easier to remember and check, then if a problem should arise to track down it`s source.

The only program on any of my machines set to auto-update is my AV.

DISCLAIMER; The above is purely my opinion and my opinion only. Your mileage may vary. :wink:

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 09 February 2011 - 04:08 PM

Microsoft has confirmed that a recent security update (KB977165) may be causing restart issues for some Windows XP users.
This update is no longer being issued through Windows Update, and Microsoft is investigating the root cause of these problems.
If you believe you are experiencing problems due to this patch, a solution is offered here.
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistawu/thread/73cea559-ebbd-4274-96bc-e292b69f2fd1

The above is from Windows7 Forum -
I have mine set to download only - I choose when or if to install them -

#4 M332

M332
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2011 - 04:25 PM

I too disable automatic updates but just so it will not try to get online all the time checking for them since I'm on 56k. I enable it when I want to check on Microsoft's update site for ones I need since the site will not work without auto updates enabled. Then I disable it again until next month.

Edited by M332, 09 February 2011 - 04:28 PM.

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2011 - 04:32 PM

I too disable automatic updates but just so it will not try to get online all the time checking for them since I'm on 56k. I enable it when I want to check on Microsoft's update site for ones I need since the site will not work without auto updates enabled. Then I disable it again until next week.

Understood. Not on dial-up here but the auto-update service is set to off as well as Automatic Updates turned off. Other wise even though you have auto-updates disabled in System Properties > Automatic Updates the service still continues to run. Just does not attempt to connect.

When checking for updates just restart the service, check for updates, disable the service till the next time.

#6 M332

M332
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2011 - 09:24 PM

Right I do both from the services panel, disable and stop. I also have my av/spyware set to manual updates since I don't want them interfering with my online activity either. I update them daily.

Edited by M332, 09 February 2011 - 09:26 PM.

#7 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:29 PM

Many AVs may\will update several times a day. Just my opinion but I think I would live with the auto-update in exchange for the increased risk of being hit with a new variant that an update was available for but you had yet to manually update your protection.

#8 cogs10

cogs10

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2011 - 06:39 PM

i can't trust that when i want to be on my computer, update has changed something.
i don't update at all, for the reason stated that i don't know which ones are going to
cause a problem.

also, the updates aren't specific enough in what they're changing for me to understand
where to look for a fix if it breaks something. i know it's supposed to help my o.s.,
but i don't want to waste time fixing the side effects.

i just try to remain wise when on the net, and viruscan any downloads, and protect
my connection.

btw, how is sp3 now? is it pretty stable, like my sp2 seems to be?

(this is all my opinion, and not something i would suggest to others.)

Edited by cogs10, 10 February 2011 - 06:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users