Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Compaq NC8000 Buisness Notebook

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 honda2010

honda2010

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 09 February 2011 - 02:53 PM

Last night I was using my laptop and the screen just went black like it went into sleep mode. Everything appeared to be running as normal but the screen just wouldn't do anything. I held the power button down to shut it down. Now when i go to start it up it sounds like its gonna boot up as normal but nothing ever comes up on the screen no bios no nothing just black. There is 3 green lights up to the right of the buttons by the power button that used to flash on when booting up but now they stay black to. The wireless and battery light come on and sounds normal when trying to boot up you can here the hd cd/drive but then after 10 sec it just dies again. I took out the hd and it still does the same thing. This appears to be a common problem with this laptop but no particular issue when googleing. Any suggestions is appreciated. Thanks!

Laptop is HP Compaq NC8000 Buisniess Notebook OS is XP Pro 32 bit.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bill253

Bill253

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2011 - 03:25 PM

If you shine a strong light (flashlight) at the display, or maybe look at it at an angle, can you see anything on the display?

If so, it's a display. Try looking in the Internal Hardware forum on this site.

#3 honda2010

honda2010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2011 - 04:41 PM

If you shine a strong light (flashlight) at the display, or maybe look at it at an angle, can you see anything on the display?

If so, it's a display. Try looking in the Internal Hardware forum on this site.

No nothing on display. When you hit the power to boot up sounds normal like its gonna boot up but only last about 8 seconds then it goes completely dead again. You can keep turning it on and just keeps goin dead after the 8 sec everytime. I took out the HD and tried booting up with my linux disc and same problem. I did take out the HD the first time with no disc installed and it came up and said disc error like normal but ever since its dead after the 8 sec again. I dont think its the HD or the screen but dunno what else it could be. Thanks for your help.

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 09 February 2011 - 04:51 PM

I will ask, although since it is an XP machine, I am guessing the warranty has long since expired.

#5 honda2010

honda2010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2011 - 05:40 PM

I will ask, although since it is an XP machine, I am guessing the warranty has long since expired.

Yes the Xp Sticker has date of 2004 on it. I got it off ebay and worked flawlessly for 3yrs untill this happened.

#6 Bill253

Bill253

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2011 - 05:42 PM

Sure sounds like a hardware issue, rather than software/OS. Especially since it won't boot from a Linux disc.

Only runs for 8 seconds now, then goes completely dead... yah, if it was just the display it would probably still boot up ok.

You've ruled out simple things like no power/bad battery and such?

I agree that it's probably not the HDD, but can you check it with another machine? Don't try to boot a different machine with it, just see if you can read the files.

I still think this thread would be better off in the Internal Hardware forum of this site, even though the laptop runs XP.

There are some people here that are very good with hardware issues, ThunderZ being one of them, we just have to get the right people looking at this.

#7 honda2010

honda2010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2011 - 05:45 PM

Sure sounds like a hardware issue, rather than software/OS. Especially since it won't boot from a Linux disc.

Only runs for 8 seconds now, then goes completely dead... yah, if it was just the display it would probably still boot up ok.

You've ruled out simple things like no power/bad battery and such?

I agree that it's probably not the HDD, but can you check it with another machine? Don't try to boot a different machine with it, just see if you can read the files.

I still think this thread would be better off in the Internal Hardware forum of this site, even though the laptop runs XP.

There are some people here that are very good with hardware issues, ThunderZ being one of them, we just have to get the right people looking at this.

How can i get it moved to hardware section?

#8 Bill253

Bill253

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2011 - 05:52 PM

I think a moderator can do it if we ask. I'll do it via the Report button (lower left part of the screen).

#9 honda2010

honda2010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2011 - 05:57 PM

I think a moderator can do it if we ask. I'll do it via the Report button (lower left part of the screen).

Cool its done. Thanks to whoever moved it.

#10 Bill253

Bill253

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2011 - 05:58 PM

That was quick... :thumbup2:

#11 honda2010

honda2010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2011 - 06:26 PM

I took out the memory sticks and the hard drive and tried boot up and still the exact same thing. The only lights that come on when trying to boot up is the wireless light and the charge light which i dunno why the charge light because I had the power cable unplugged. The other lights dont even flash like they used to. Just a FYI. Thanks!

#12 honda2010

honda2010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:47 PM

I contacted HP they said that is sounded like a motherboard problem. They gave me some numbers to call service center to see what the cost is to repair it. I sure this thing will be a doorstop now because it will be cheaper to buy a new one I'm sure.

#13 honda2010

honda2010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2011 - 03:10 AM

Well i ordered a used motherboard that is guranteed to work off ebay. I paid $45 for it shipped. I got my laptop tore apart and this used board installed and my laptop works better than ever. I'm typing on it now. I even had a pc shop tell me to throw it away and buy a new one. I'm no pc tech by no means but have some sence. I'm glad I could accomplish this and get it resolved for only $45 and was a learning experience for me as well. This is the first time I ever done anything like this and it turned out flawless. Thanks for all that chimed in to help this aint the only thread I asked questions in.

#14 Bill253

Bill253

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2011 - 10:20 AM

Always glad to hear success stories here at BC. Well Done! :clapping:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users