Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox 4

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Philip Brampton

Philip Brampton

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:55 PM

What is the difference between opening from the taskbar and the desktop?
When it is opened from the taskbar it flickers two or three times before it opens which is a bloody nuisance.
It opens normally when opened from the tesktop.
If anybody has any thoughts please let me know.
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 09 February 2011 - 02:20 PM

The only difference I am aware of is the amount of clicks needed to open\launch a program.

If by Taskbar you mean the Quick Launch, the area immediately to the right of the start button or orb depending on your OS. Then only on left click is needed to launch it.

The Desktop is a standard shortcut normally needing two rapid left clicks to launch a given program.

Just realized you are talking about Firefox 4 which is still in beta = testing phase. May be a reason.

Edited by ThunderZ, 09 February 2011 - 02:31 PM.

#3 Philip Brampton

Philip Brampton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2011 - 03:08 PM

Thanks for your interest.
All my icons work on a single click purely for convenience.
I have tried all sorts of settings but the problem remains.
i realize that it is still in beta but i have had this problem ever since i started with Firefox and that was with V3.
The real annoyance is that it doesn't flicker every time just most of the time,say 7 out of 10 openings.
I have tried posting the problem on the Firefox Forum which was a waste of time.
I am just hoping somebody will say"Oh yes,i know what that is".But i have not found him yet.Somebody will know.
The other annoyance is that it only does it on my Windows 7 computer but never on my XP
Regards

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2011 - 03:44 PM

Sorry to say I`m not the "somebody" you are hoping to find. :lol:

Still using XP exclusively, with the exception of a spare hard drive which 7 is installed on but rarely see`s the light of day. B)

Nor have I played with FX4.
My next suggestion would have been the FX forum but you already have covered that as well. It really does sound like an oddity related to your PC, it`s software and \or hardware configuration. In which case it may remain a mystery or magically disappear with the next update of 7 or FX or who knows? :blink:

#5 Philip Brampton

Philip Brampton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2011 - 03:59 PM

I am opening it from the desktop at the moment.It opens just as it should.
I will leave it like that until i find the answer.
What is very strange is that both icons(taskbar and desktop)have the same properties that is "Target and Start In"
Thanks again
Regards

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2011 - 04:12 PM

What is very strange is that both icons(taskbar and desktop)have the same properties that is "Target and Start In"

They are both starting the same program from the same source. What you see is really not strange and as it should be. Only the location of the starting point has changed, not the end point\what it is leading to.

You are more then welcome. Even though I was unable to help solve the problem.

#7 Philip Brampton

Philip Brampton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2011 - 09:39 AM

ThunderZ.
I thought you might be interested.
Since installing the latest Firefox nightly flickering has stopped--Thank goodness.
Lets hope it continues through to the final.
Regards.

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2011 - 06:43 PM

Thanks for the update Philip Brampton.

I use FF almost exclusively. Looking forward to checking out the final release of v4.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users