Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't run Windows XP Boot CD, BSOD error 0x6F

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 willcore

willcore

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:44 AM

My problem is a bit more in depth than just the title. First thing's first. I accidentally deleted, but didn't uninstall, a font called Arial BoldMT (True Type) from the fonts folder. My computer immediately shut down and upon restart I was presented with a lovely black screen displaying a missing/corrupt file error message pointing to \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM.

So I restarted and tried to boot in safe mode/last known good config to no avail. Same error message. Kept telling me to use the setup disk and press r to repair. I was able to locate my XP disk and tried to boot to it to use the Repair option. Windows Setup began to load, loading all the stuff it needed at the bottom of the screen, displayed a "Setup is starting Windows" message, then BSOD'ed on me. It is a SESSION3_INITIALIZATION FAILED error with a STOP: 0x0000006F.

THINGS I'VE TRIED:
Slaved drive (which is viewable from another computer) and ran checkdisk with no problems
Downloaded and ran the manufacturer's diagnostic tool (found and corrected one bad sector, was clear on second pass)

So at this point, I'm still unable to get this thing up and running at all. I'm baffled about it all. The hard drive is a SATA drive, which I know can be a problem. My mobo is an older Intel (D915GAV) to be exact. I don't have a disk for that. The OS is XPSP3, but the disk is the original SP2 version. Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:54 AM

Boot to the XP CD and select R (Recovery Console)

At the command prompt type:

ren c:\windows\system32\config\system system.old
copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config

Reboot

#3 willcore

willcore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2011 - 11:07 AM

Unfortunately I never actually make it to the Welcome to Windows Setup screen so I can't access the recovery console. It BSOD's before I get to that stage.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 09 February 2011 - 11:21 AM

You won't be opening Windows, you will be booting from the installation CD.

You may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD-ROM is the first device and the hdd second. This too can be done without starting Windows.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 willcore

willcore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2011 - 11:36 AM

Maybe I'm not explaining this correctly, let me try to clarify.

I am running the XP disk on boot. It boots to the disk without a problem. Goes to a blue screen with the words Windows Setup in the top right corner and a white bar at the bottom. As it is loading, along the bottom it goes through a few messages (if you need to load scsi raid drivers, press F6, if you want to use ASR, press F2, Setup is loading files...). Then it says at the bottom setup is now loading Windows or something and before it reaches the Windows Setup screen (http://www.getpcmemory.com/pics/windows_xp_installation_welcome.gif), it BSOD's with the 0x6F. So I cannot access the recovery console at all.

So here's a quick recap: Windows alone won't start at all regardless of what start-up option I use due to a missing or corrupt \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM. I boot to the disk and am unable to access the recovery console due to a 0x6F BSOD which happens before I reach the Setup options screen.

I apologize if I wasn't clear in my original message. I'm just losing my mind over here trying to get this thing to work. Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users