Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

outlook 2k7 lock ups

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 thumper82

thumper82

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 09 February 2011 - 09:53 AM

Ok I have ran into an issue that I have never seen in 10 years of using outlook. One of my users Outlook freezes and the CPU goes to 100% when trying to send emails to multiple addresses from the contacts list. Below is a list of everything I have tried.

Swapped pc with a pc loaded with identical software. copied all mail out of the pst file and put on new computer. Deleted all user contacts and had user re-add them all manually. completely reinstalled office 2k7. ran scanpst to repair pst file. One thing that did work is I sent out an email to all users and then had the troubled user copy all contacts from my email and send one out and it worked, so it seems to be related to the contacts some how, but I cannot seem any settings that are wrong and all email addresses are correct. I have been working on this on and off for about 6 weeks and am at a complete loss. thanks to anyone who can help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thumper82

thumper82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:07 AM

the pc is windows xp fully updated outlook and OS

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:08 AM

Can you boot to Safe Mode with Networking enabled and see if the same problem occurs?

#4 thumper82

thumper82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:18 AM

I will try that. Also the email i am trying to send just says test. no attachment or anything else.

#5 thumper82

thumper82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:23 AM

Still locked up outlook and maxed out the CPU. thanks

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,554 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:26 AM

Okay. Then my guess is that the problem is either hardware related, a bad install of Outlook, or malware. Have you run full scans with both the installed AV and MalwareBytes? Have you tried inserting the OFFICE disk and either repairing the installation or simply uninstalling and reinstalling Outlook? And last, (and least likely but still worth a shot) have you run a test on your installed ram as well as chkdsk /r?

#7 thumper82

thumper82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:39 AM

My first thought was Malware or some underlying issue with her old pc that why I gave her a newer pc with more memory. symantec endpoint did not find anything. I did run the repair yesterday. The complete uninstall and new install would of happened when the pc was swapped out. I have not run a chkdsk /r because I was figuring with swapping pc's I would have ruled most of those possible issues out. thanks

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,554 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:40 AM

Sorry - I somehow missed the whole swapping out thing. Okay, I'm with you - been using Outlook since it was first introduced and it's a first for me too. Stumped - sorry.

Much as I hate to suggest this, might be worth a call to MS - or a problem submission on their support site.

Edited by Allan, 09 February 2011 - 10:41 AM.

#9 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 09 February 2011 - 07:17 PM

Just curious, but how big is the outlook.pst file?
You did restore that file onto the second machine & still have exactly the same issue.
You also have eliminated all hardware and software by swapping machines.
Appears to me that this is the only commonality.
In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users