Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to setup automatic login on Windows XP

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 SpeshK

SpeshK

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 09 February 2011 - 03:16 AM

I'm attempting to set up a few of the computers at my company to automatically login. The initial procedure I used:
Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type control userpasswords2, and then click OK.
Clear the "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" check box, and then click Apply.
In the Automatically Log On window, type the password in the Password box, and then retype the password in the Confirm Password box.
Click OK to close the Automatically Log On window, and then click OK to close the User Accounts window.

When I restarted the computers they come up to the windows login screen and come up with the "LOCAL(this computer)" domain showing in the login box instead of the company's domain. I think this is why it won't login automatically, but I don't know how to change the our company's domain back to the default domain.

I've also tried this method to setup the automatic login:

Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
Locate the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
Using your account name and password, double-click the DefaultUserName entry, type your user name, and then click OK.
Double-click the DefaultPassword entry, type your password under the value data box, and then click OK.

If there is no DefaultPassword value, create the value. To do this, follow these steps:
In Registry Editor, click Edit, click New, and then click String Value.
Type DefaultPassword as the value name, and then press ENTER.
Double-click the newly created key, and then type your password in the Value Data box.
Note: If the DefaultPassword registry entry does not exist, Windows XP automatically changes the value of the AutoAdminLogonregistry key from 1 (true) to 0 (false) to turn off the AutoAdminLogon feature after the computer is restarted.
Double-click the AutoAdminLogon entry, type 1 in the Value Data box, and then click OK.

If there is no AutoAdminLogon entry, create the entry. To do this, follow these steps:
In Registry Editor, click Edit, click New, and then click String Value.
Type AutoAdminLogon as the value name, and then press ENTER.
Double-click the newly created key, and then type 1 in the Value Data box.
Exit Registry Editor.
Click Start, click Restart, and then click OK.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 09 February 2011 - 08:23 AM

I don't believe that auto logon capabilities...is designed to override domain policies on a system belonging to a domain. I've always thought that these instructions/procedures are designed for home/personal PC users.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users