Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No wireless connectivity after sleep/hibernate/shut down

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 malo_4

malo_4

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 08 February 2011 - 10:33 PM

Hopefully someone here can help me with this problem. I have wireless set up here at the house. I have an Actiontec PK5000 modem/router from Qwest. I am running Windows 7 64bit. My computer has a Realtek NIC. Up until a couple days ago I had no problem with connection to my wireless network. Then the problem started. Anytime my computer wakes up from sleep or hibernate the connection is lost and I can't reconnect to the network. I can see the network but it will not let me reconnect. I do get a Troubleshoot window to try to fix the problem but it just says to check the router (turn it off, then on) to fix it. This does work but is a pain in the butt to have to do every time the computer goes to sleep. I did a quick search and the couple things I tried do not work. The first thing was to change the power settings to max performance, then next was to make sure the network card/adaptor would not go to sleep or be shut off when the computer went to sleep, I rebooted the modem, I tried doing something with ipconfig (when I'm not connected it doesn't do anything and when I am it doesn't see a problem. )

In short, if the computer goes to sleep/hibernate/shuts down/restarts then I lose my wireless connection and the only way that I have found to get the computer to connect again is to unplug/restart the modem and then my computer connects fine to it.
Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 java2

java2

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 16 February 2011 - 10:27 PM

Malo_4,

This EXACT thing started with my system yesterday. It is driving me nuts. I'm using the same router, Qwest DSL, but a Macbook but this doesn't seem like a macbook problem as my wife's computer is doing the same. It started all of a sudden after I unplugged the router from power to move some cords to a more inconspicuous place. Anybody????

Update...I just called Qwest's 24 hour help line. They got me hooked back up. They changed my channel, and then turned off the WPS. They think that when I was moving the router around, I must have hit the WPS button...which ultimately jacked everything up. So we went into the settings, and turned it off. Seems to be working now.

Edited by java2, 17 February 2011 - 12:17 AM.

#3 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,769 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 16 February 2011 - 10:53 PM

If this is desktop, there is no reason to use any power saving features.
Worthless, unnecessary and often causing issues.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#4 MBakerNH

MBakerNH

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 18 February 2011 - 08:12 PM

Nonsense. Any device that can utilize power saving should. It's not just about the device, but a broader picture as well.

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 18 February 2011 - 08:25 PM

Nonsense. Any device that can utilize power saving should. It's not just about the device, but a broader picture as well.

When it works properly it is a great idea in the broader picture.

But far to many times I have found that Windows just does not know when a device is in use or being called upon. Many an intermittent network connection has been solved by disabling the power saving mode.
When MS gets the feature right I will have no problem using it.

Edited by ThunderZ, 18 February 2011 - 08:25 PM.

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,769 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 18 February 2011 - 08:30 PM

That's my exact point :)

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users