Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hotmail To Outlook

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 igonuts2

igonuts2

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 15 December 2005 - 06:08 PM

Presario I386 desktop
32.5gb HD
192mb RAM
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

hi bc, and merry xmas,

small thorn in my side. my wife uses hotmail. so,
control pannel>IO>programs> and in the "Internet Programs" pane>E-mail, click on the arrow and highlite "hotmail">apply>ok.
open IE, rt click the tool bar and tick "lock tool bar".

now when shes using IE she can go to the tool bar and click on the mail icon and hotmail, not outlook, appears.

that should be the end of it, right?

but about once a month outlook starts up not hot mail. i gotta do it over again.

how can i stop this. it keeps reverting back to outlook (**!@#@@ING MS!!!).

oh yea, there's only one account on the pc. no other user accounts. no home network. and not even a hint of mallware from scans (save negligable cookies).

Spybot S&D 1.3
Ad-Aware SE Personel
Spyware Blaster
NIS 2005
Microsoft Anti Spyware
Spyware Guard
CCleaner

ty for any help,
igo

:thumbsup:
Why work when you can play!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 15 December 2005 - 06:23 PM

Sounds like to me you are doing everything right. Hmmmm

Perhaps trying the program "Default Mail" would help. It can be found HERE.

Might be worth a try. Honestly, I don't know why this is happening to your machine.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 spiritcloud

spiritcloud

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 15 December 2005 - 09:15 PM

My only thought is that there may be some kind of auto update thing going on that is resetting it to the default.

If you aren't using Outlook Express, why not remove it? There is also the option to setup Outlook Express to access the Hotmail account. They may charge for pop3 service these days though. You can still access the hotmail account online as well.

Good luck.
Nobility is not a birthright--it is a way of life.

#4 igonuts2

igonuts2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2005 - 09:26 PM

tx AF,

i'll do some studying on that DL you suggested. little reluctant to do that at this point. but definatly a consideration.

ignorance here,

only having 192RAM i've noticed that when multi tasking the screen will blink and all desktop icons briefly revert to generic icons and sys trey icons go away untill the tasks are all but done. the desktop icons go back to custom icons but the sys trey ends up with just a few of the ten icons that are normaly there and stays that way 'till reboot.

now i'm not worried 'bout all that, but could that relativly small ram and over tasking some how effect the settings?

i mostly needed to know that i did the right steps to do what the wify wanted (ty AF).

i doesn't revert to default mail every month like clockwork, necessarily.

#5 igonuts2

igonuts2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2005 - 09:58 PM

tx spiritcloud,

i was thinking that as well 'bout the update thing.

outlook is fully updated. i know thats not exactly what you ment. we use outlook to recieve monthly confimation of our ISP bill payment only.

a lot of the time (actualy most), my CPU pegs out when updating thru Windows. and as i stated above, i do take all updates fer outlook.

i wonder(?), if it gets accessed, would it then tell its self to be the default mail?.

are there some other settings that are configured to allow the change if accessed? but wouldn't a pop up window appear to ask if i want it to be my default? i think.

ty,
igo

#6 spiritcloud

spiritcloud

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2005 - 10:23 PM

Hmmm. It wouldn't surprise me if Microsoft made it so OE would revert to default if it was accessed. You would hope it would notify you of such a thing, but...maybe not?

Is it possible that something else updating or whatever could keep resetting the default mail client?

I'm just shooting in the dark here. :thumbsup:

It seems like you did everything right for the switchover. Just some strange thing going on.

#7 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2005 - 02:18 AM

Well, having under 200MB of RAM is gotta be painful for the machine, as that is a small amount. Windows will work, in theory, but in practice it usaully takes more. Perhaps you could add another 256 MB. That is an inexpensive upgrade and even if the current RAM amount is not the cause of this exact problem, you will notice general performance improvement by increasing the amount of RAM.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#8 igonuts2

igonuts2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2005 - 04:54 PM

tx AF,

more people should have my problem. I'm on DSL and my pc w/small RAM is slower than the IP connection.
most have the opposite problem.

I'm a noob in any os. don't want to make a mountain outta a mole hill as it were. if I've done the right thing for the wife's preference I'm not gonna worry 'bout it.

min 512Ram is what I'll end up doing. maybe even a gig as the wife likes to do a lot of graphics manipulation.

tx for the tip on that default mail dl. stash the link fer later.

tx for the help,

merry Xmas,
igo

#9 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2005 - 05:00 PM

And a Merry Xmas to you. :thumbsup:
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 16 December 2005 - 06:43 PM

One question - is hotmail set as the default account in Outlook, or is your isp set as the default account?

#11 igonuts2

igonuts2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2005 - 09:29 PM

hi enthusiast,

thats a question i don't know the answer to. i'd be more than happy to be edjucated though.

we use yahoo for home pg and family mail 'cause the whole family can view everyones calander and sill have seperate accounts for each family member.

she uses hotmail to chat with the world (MSN messenger). so i figured that i could make hotmail available through the tool bar.

outlook is only accessed at the end of the month for bill pay conformation and is accessed through start>all programs.

but i think i'm missing some knowlege here. i've never configured outlook to do anything.

one of my beefs with XP is i don't learn some things. it kinda does it all for ya. wizards and all.

sounds like i need to crack open the pc manual or go to MS KB and study up on outlooks abilities.

it just hit me!

your gonna tell me that at the end of every month, when i open outlook to view Verizons bill pay reciepts (our ISP), that in effct, I'M changing the default settings?

mmmmm. by default, outlook will reset itself to be accessed through the tool bar and thereby, become my default email?

why is bill gates.......never mind.

can't outlook just get the mail from verizon without changing the email link in the tool bar?

i'm rambling... sorry.

now i'm miffed.
igo

#12 spiritcloud

spiritcloud

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2005 - 10:20 PM

The only question that matters there is: "Why is Bill gates so rich?" Right?

I have an existing hotmail account that I have for MSN Messenger because it's easier, but I don't actually have to use that email to use the messenger. I don't even know if I can actually access the hotmail account because it has been inactive so long. But they still keep it open for me. :thumbsup:

It is way more convenient to use a pop3 mail service, in my opinion. Like I said, I think hotmail has a pop3 service--it just costs now. I think Yahoo has an HTTP service that works about the same as pop3(may still be free). And you can always set it to leave a copy of emails on the web so it can be accessed from anywhere.

It is pretty easy to set up new OE accounts and to switch between them. For a new account in Outlook Express, just go to Tools(drop-down menu at top), Accounts. Then click on the Add button at the top right. Choose Mail, then follow the prompts. You will need the incoming and outgoing server info(hotmail and yahoo should have that info available on their sites).

Just an option. I find Outlook Express far more convenient than online mail. It kind of cuts out the middle man, and thus potential breakdowns and access issues. But that's me.

As frustrating as all this stuff can be, I hope you have as much fun learning new things as I do. I doubt there's any one person out there who litterally knows it all these days.

#13 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2005 - 10:21 PM

Hey Igonuts2, I have an idea, perhaps something worth trying.

Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs

On the left hand side, choose "Set Program Access and Defaults"

Under "Custom" look for email programs. See if you can choose Hotmail for your default, but then check Outlook for access only.

Test it out and see if this cures your ills.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#14 igonuts2

igonuts2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2005 - 12:23 AM

hi all,

i remember now. it's been a while.

i've been to the set program access and defaults. i have it set to "use current". and then of coarse "current" would be defined through start>control pannel>IO>programs> and in the "Internet Programs" pane>E-mail, click on the arrow and highlite "hotmail">apply>ok, right? but here again, all thats offered are the ms products, outlook or hot mail. the same is true for the other catagories in that pane. the os isn't user friendly to products from other authors.

i'm lacking that knowlege, really, to actualy say that last sentance there. i need to study up on that. i've dl'd an address book from CNET and the above settings, or rather options, won't recognize it.

but, being a noob, there's probably a lot more to all that than just dl'ing a program and expecting XP to recognize it. (i think there's a joke in there somewhere!)

i soo need to read more on outlook.

i like on line mail. let them worry 'bout security. online frees up storage space. anything sensitive or personel, i copy paste to docs, or a password zip and save to cd if needed. if i get pc problems and lose data, online mail won't suffer. and i can remotely access it anywhere with out having my pc, at home, on third party access. but thats me. i've been seriously jacked once. and thanks to bc, not again.

but i didn't know OE could handle mutiple accounts. that i will definatly check out.
and it's fun learnin'. and now that i've learned that OE can recognize multiples, mmmm.

i really need to study up. you all have given me a few days of learnin' to do.

it's really a low priority thorn. i thought this would be just a simple post and answer type thing. and all your help has just trashed that idea. just joking. ty. but thats bc fer ya! i'm just trying to make things easy for my other half. ty all.

i'm off to the relative tutorials.

a last thought,
if OE can accept two accounts, and i try to configure the IE tool bar the same way as before, won't i need a three sided coin to flip when the wify clicks on the email link? :thumbsup:
gotta go read. i'm subscibed to this topic,
igo

#15 spiritcloud

spiritcloud

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2005 - 08:37 PM

Well, I think this thread has discussed things all around and far beyond the original question. I'm not sorry. Things to study up on for all of us. heh And I totally understand your preference of online mail.

As for the 3-sided coin...nah. You can tell it wich Identity to use if a program doesn't ask you to choose an identity(see below).

So actually, the process for creating another OE Identity is different than creating another account. Each Identity can have as many email accounts as you want.

>>Just a quick reference<<

To add a new OE Identity:
File > Identities > Add New Identity...
To switch OE identities:
File > Switch Identity > pick the one you want
To manage OE Identities(this is where you set it to use a specific identity for apps that don't ask):
File > Manage Identities

When in a given Identity:
Add a new email account:
Tools > Accounts... > click the Add button > Mail... > follow prompts

Anyway...good luck with it all. Go study. haha But feel free to ask any more questions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users