Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is Upgrade Possible From Fx5200 128mb On My Mobo

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Peter_Bateman

Peter_Bateman

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 15 December 2005 - 06:02 PM

Is Upgrade possible from fx5200 128mb AGP on my mobo. I want to upgrade because i want to play games like quake 4 and doom 3 in better quality then an ps2/xbox. Ok i have a ecs 865g-m rev2.3 motherboard and i want to go with something like ati x800or x850 256mb pro versions. I cant find what bit the memory interface is on my mobo. 64,128,256bit . can i change the bit rate? i read that the card may be 128 bit and mobo might be 128bit but it could be set on 64bit is this possible?, or maybe can only be 64bit. Is it really going to make a difference? I think the x800 series is 256bit.

Or if anybody has other video card suggestions or pc upgrades i would appreciate them

As a aside I don't know the difference between 128mb 256mb video cards. I want 256mb because it cost more so it has to be better right. i assume like ram the more the better.

A little info on my system
p4 3.0 ghz +ht<dont know if its enabled
1.5gig ram pc 3700 400mhz 1-1ghz 2-256mb cards
430watt p.s
200gig 7200rpm hd
windows xp< cant recall what version ..i think its media center
nvidiea fx5200agp

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2005 - 09:59 PM

Dear Peter,

Your computer seems able to handle an upgrade to a 256mb video card. I am slightly confused on your mother board specs.

Also, dump the 430 watt power supply and get at least a 550 watt or better by a named brand. Like Antec, Thermalright, Cooler Master, and such.

I use Corsair 3200 XMS dual 1GB memory and have no problem playing any game I want at high settings. Now my video card is a ASUS AX 800PRO/TVD 256mb and has some extras.

When playing Doom 3, FryCry (a great test for your video card), Half life 2, and FEAR I have high video levels with no garbage. Quake 4? Have not played that yet.

Please remember if you are changing/ upgrading your computer cooling will also change. If you get a 256 mb video card, you should also get a Vantec Fan card to cool it.

Cooling should be your first priority when gaming. Do the work now and play later. Or we can help you repair your computer when it dies.

Your call :thumbsup:

Let us know,

junkdk :flowers:
Your Hardware Guide.

#3 Peter_Bateman

Peter_Bateman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2005 - 09:05 PM

Thanks for your input Junk. I still cant find the memory interface "bits" of my motherboard is it 64 or 128 or 256bit. The board itself is a ecs 865g-m rev2.3 and the download from ecs does not give any specs for this.

I looked thru the bios under advanced and video and it had a sub menu where i could pick 64mb 128mb or 256mb.
am i correct in assuming that the cards memory is not the same as the memory interface scince one is in bits and the other in megabytes?

a liilte clarification will help.

thanks in advance

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users