Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop keeps shutting down when power cord is moved

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 deathx88

deathx88

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 08 February 2011 - 06:21 PM

A while ago my friend said she dropped her laptop and it landed in the spot where you plug the power supply in. Ever since then there's been a problem keeping the laptop on. When you wiggle the cord around you can see the internal blue power light go on and off, so you basically have to rig it just right for it to stay on and even the slightest touch can turn it off, and yes, the battery is dead so that makes problems even worse. I've tried to look on line, and even asked a friend, but it looks like that the problem is the actual prong/input that you plug the cord into. I thought maybe the power supply itself could be messed up but i don't have a spare one to test it with.

With that being said, how can i go about fixing this? If it's the input then wouldn't that have to deal with the motherboard and stuff? The laptop is a little old but still decent, i just wouldn't want to spend a bunch of money to have it get fixed.

I would appreciate any advice on how to fix this.
Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 08 February 2011 - 08:09 PM

The internal power connector is broken. Most models require removal of the motherboard, and replacement of the power socket, and the required soldering. Some lappys, a few models of HP come to mind, have a socket connected to the motherboard by a jumper harness. Sockets $7-15, labor to have it done $100 to $150 depending on location. Good project for the adventurous soul.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 08 February 2011 - 08:41 PM

most older laptops worked with a power jack like this .
http://www.laptoprepair101.com/laptop/2007/12/06/dc-power-jack-repair-guide/

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#4 deathx88

deathx88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 10 February 2011 - 04:01 AM

Thanks for the info guys. I doubt i can take the motherboard out and solder that myself. I figured it would probably cost that much to have it fixed, but i guess i have no choice.

#5 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 10 February 2011 - 05:15 AM

check around your neighborhood sometime there are small company's hurting for work and charge a reasonable price,unlike the big box stores .i can get it done here a small tv repair shop for about $50.00 cdn ,i supply the jack good luck

Edited by caperjac, 10 February 2011 - 05:15 AM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users