Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Combofix removed system 32 possible bug?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Arkanoid2520

Arkanoid2520

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 08 February 2011 - 04:50 PM

I work at a campus computer helpdesk and some of the employees including me like to use combofix to clean some of the computers that are brought into us. We are well aware that combofix can remove system files but this seemed unusual how it behaved on this one computer. With no popups or warning it started going through every file on in system32 then immediately after removed the entire directory. I believe you just implemented a new version of combofix that works on 64bit now and the laptop that we were working on was running vista 64bit. Unfortunately I don't have the log for it anymore as the user asked us to reformat after the incident. I'm not sure where this should be placed on the forums but I just wanted you guys to be aware that this has occured with the new version of combofix. Whether this is a bug or not I feel there should be some change to the way combofix works so that it would at least warn you with a prompt when trying to remove anyfile from system32 or if that's stated earlier in the process a prompt when it tries to remove the folder.

We all love combofix here but this seems like a serious flaw. We look forward to a response.

Edited by hamluis, 08 February 2011 - 04:56 PM.
Moved from Announcements, Comments, Suggestions to AV, Friewwall, Privacy, Protection

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users