Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot stream media - flash not downloading

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 notimpressed

notimpressed

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 08 February 2011 - 04:41 PM

Dear Bleeping Computer,
We recently swapped service providers to a BT Home hub 2.0. I have used the advice in another message and downloaded an offline copy of Adobe Flash which has worked and I am able to use Youtube and BBC content, however I cannot use other streaming media services such as WMP where this message appears...
"WMP cannot play the file. The player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file"
I also have tried to download Adobe Flash from their website but this message appears...
"iexplore.exe - Application error
The instruction at "0x0b250068" referenced memory at "0x0b250068". The memory could not be 'written'.
OK to terminate or Cancel to debug."

Once stopped loading this message appears and does this to each IE window loaded...
"IE has closed this webpage to help protect your computer."
So although I am able to use Flash, the original problem remains in that I cannot download anything without it crashing. The PC is also slow, jerky, mouse unresponsive, selects text at random, will not select a text entry field. This has been since installing BT as a "service provider".
I am able to connect to the internet and surf generally with just the aforementioned slowness. The problem comes when downloading and using streaming media.
The PC is a Dell 5150, about 8 years old. We are using Windows XP Home. It is 32 bit i think.

I have taken these steps to rectify the problems...
1. used BT's PC check utilities
2. Used Microsoft system tools, disk cleanup, defragment
3. Scanned using Norton 360, used all Nortons diagnostic utilities
4. closed firewall
5. removed Norton
6. Set internet security to minimum for all parameters
7. used a spyware remover successfully
8. uninstalled all unnecessary programms.
9. cleaned the hard disk, desktop and other areas in general
10. restarted the PC
11. telephoned BT who do not accept responsibility as it is a problem with the PC not to service provider
12. searched the forums to look for advice and solutions

The issue still exists despite these steps. So I would like to be able to use the PC with BT although they do not accept liability for their poorly engineered hardware. My mother pays the bill so its her decision of SP. How can I resolve this issue? All advice is most appreciated.
With thanks,
Andrew, Norfolk, UK

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,751 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 08 February 2011 - 05:45 PM

Well...I see that you think that you know what's wrong...and why...let's see if we can determine how accurate you are.

Why have you removed your AV protection? Did it not occur to you that this is not necessarily a wise move?

<<WMP cannot play the file. The player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file">>

That message typically appears...because the system does not contain the codecs necessary to play such files on WMP. Codecs to overcome such are available freely on the Web...I used the K-Lite Code Pack, Full to overcome this, but there are many codec packages available that do the job.

<<I also have tried to download Adobe Flash from their website but this message appears...>>

Lots of users have problems with downloading/installing both Flash and Java, for various reasons.

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

I just downloaded/installed the latest version.

<<The PC is also slow, jerky, mouse unresponsive, selects text at random, will not select a text entry field. This has been since installing BT as a "service provider".>>

Are you saying that a simple switch of ISP...brought these problems to your system? I would be more inclined to assert/suspect malware of some form, if not other causes/coincidences.

Slow Computer-browser Check Here First; It May Not Be Malware - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic87058.html

What version of IE is installed?

How much RAM installed?

How large is C: partition...how much free space on it right now?

Louis

#3 notimpressed

notimpressed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 15 February 2011 - 12:18 PM

Louis,

Many thanks for your reply. I tried to fix it but it is eight years old and needs TLC so I took it to the local repair shop instead. Thay have fixed all of the problems except for WMP...

<<WMP cannot play the file. The player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file">>

I have installed the K-Lite code pack but still the message appears.

When I tried to download the Microsoft codec package it shut down the web page to protect the PC. I have also done a WMP rollback to the previous version but this makes no difference.

<<What version of IE is installed?>> - 8.0.6001.18702

<<How much RAM installed?>> - 1.00GB

<<How large is C: partition...how much free space on it right now?>> - Used 61.1GB Free 168GB

The repair shop said it was just a codec problem but they didn't fix it. Any advice is always appreciated.
Regards,
Andrew

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,751 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 15 February 2011 - 01:12 PM

I would install WMP 11...then try installing the codec pack again.

And don't forget the critical updates accompanying WMP 11 :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users