Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win7 Media centre has taken over

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 darfieldboy

darfieldboy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 08 February 2011 - 04:02 PM

Has anyone come across the following:
My son's laptop - Dell Inspiron 1545 running Win7 boots normally, but all the icons on the desktop cause Windows media centre to load, eg, Adobe reader has a normal icon, but clicking on it leads to media centre, IE does the same etc.
The scenario is that clicking on an icon loads media centre, click on the X to close, gives a blank screen, and then media centre loads again, clicking to close brings you back to the desktop. Some icons have been replaced with media centre icons and some haven't. The Upshot is, that whatever program is clicked on, media centre runs. I can;t change the program file associations in control panel - tried it and it does not work. media centre seems to be running ok, ie I can play music via it, and all the iTunes info is there, but not iTunes.
If you want any further info, I'll gladly supply it.
Regards
darfieldboy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 08 February 2011 - 04:18 PM

Try using 'System restore' and choose a restore point from before the problem began.

#3 247techie

247techie

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 09 February 2011 - 12:01 PM

for me it seems like a malware attack try to do a malware analysis

#4 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 09 February 2011 - 12:23 PM

File association seems to be mixed up. You can fix them following this guide http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/file-asso-fixes-for-windows-7/

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users