Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help, computer dead :(

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 beholder

beholder

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 08 February 2011 - 03:30 PM

I was playing this game, and suddenly the computer froze up.
Alt Tab did nothing, ctrl alt del did nothing, just stuck in the screen completely uncreative. I had no choice and hard booted the computer.

When the computer started up again, the windows 7 splash screen was going and going forever, and I noticed some weird patterns on the screen (like little dots all over the image.) I had to hard boot again, and this time the computer try to go into recovery mode, but was unable to recover (the automatic recovery didn't work). I tried to use advanced mode and go into system restore point, which is on my external drive, but I can't find it.

I remember something similar to this happened to me and it was faulty RAM chip.. I ran some RAM program to diagnose the problem, but I don't remember which one is it.

Is there a solution to this problem, as in accessing my files on my external and trying to restore it, or am I looking into flushing everything and reformatting? Is it faulty memory? (I am worried because of the dots that show during the bios start up). What's next?

- Worried Beholder

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 08 February 2011 - 03:33 PM

I agree that checking ram is a reasonable first step: http://www.memtest.org/

#3 beholder

beholder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 05:11 PM

Not sure how to use the tools memtest, they have a usb flash drive option but I can't get my computer to boot up from it. I did run the windows diagnostic tool though for Ram, and it seems to be fine. Right now my computer is frozen on the windows 7 splash screen again.

To make things worse, I can only find my Vista CD, not windows 7. I will have to download 7 from my school again and upgrade. But with these dots in the background and the computer frozen, I'm not even sure I have a working computer to try that out.... what is the problem??

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,731 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:47 AM

Memtest86+ Guide-How To's - Overclockers Forums - http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=409152

Louis

#5 beholder

beholder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2011 - 08:25 PM

ok since I can't burn a CD (my netbook doesn't have CD drive, main computer is down, that's the point) and floppy disks are no where around me (maybe at staples...), how do I boot it up from the USB? this guide just say "it's complicated" but doesn't explain how.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users