Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Sound after Win 7 Install

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 sudsy

sudsy

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 08 February 2011 - 01:39 PM

I tried to search this forum for and answer first.

I just upgraded (?) my desktop PC to Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit from Win XP Pro 32 bit. The system does not see the installed creative Soundblaster 5.1 digital sound card. I cannot load the driver. Any clues? It all worked fine before the "upgrade?"

Raidmax tower
Asus K8V MB
AMD Athlon 64 3200 processor
3 G ram
NVIDIA FX-5900 Video card
120G 7200 HDD

Soap :crazy:
UFO pilot

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 01:42 PM

You need to download and install the correct 64 bit Windows 7 drivers for your video card, sound card, etc. (get them from the OEM web sites, not from Windows Update). Start with the chipset driver (get it from the website of your system or mobo manufacturer).

Edited by Allan, 08 February 2011 - 01:42 PM.

#3 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 01:45 PM

How about this;

I have the original install disk (CD) for the motherboard. If I run it and select update drivers that should take care of all the drivers?
UFO pilot

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 01:48 PM

Please follow my instructions and obtain the drivers from the appropriate websites.

#5 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 02:15 PM

How about this;

I have the original install disk (CD) for the motherboard. If I run it and select update drivers that should take care of all the drivers?

Very often the CD that comes with the motherboard has outdated drivers on it. It is best to download and install the latest drivers from the manufacturer's support/download site. Listen to Allan.

Edited by Zuhl3156, 08 February 2011 - 02:15 PM.

#6 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 02:21 PM

When I go to the Asus website and click on "support" and then enter my system Identification information it shows a list of BIOS downloads. However when I click on the latest version it comes up with a window that says I need another program to extract and use the BIOS load. That page is in Chinese or something. I can't understand the page and the in stall stops.

Asus socket 754
K8V deluxe
AMD Athlon 64 3200
K8T800 chipset
UFO pilot

#7 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 08 February 2011 - 02:23 PM

How about this;

As stated by both Allan and Zuhl3156. You really do need to check the OEM site for the most current drivers. While I know it sounds like a pain and can be a bit time consuming. Doing it in the fashion you suggest, install from disk\check for updates, is checking only the MS site for a version of their drivers. They have been known to throw out a clunker or two.

For having the best chance of a trouble free fresh install please take the time to go to the OEM site.

Your PC will thank you for it.

EDIT Just did a check for drivers on the Asus site for your board with Win7. I did not find Win7 listed\supported.

Edited by ThunderZ, 08 February 2011 - 02:29 PM.

#8 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 02:25 PM

I am looking at the Asus website, not M$.
UFO pilot

#9 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 02:27 PM

I did not attempt to load anything from the Asus K8V CD that I have. I replaced the MB in this computer a couple of years back and when I loaded it using the disk provided by Asus it looked online for the latest drivers. I think it will do that again. I am not talking about using the Windows 7 install disk
UFO pilot

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 02:28 PM

It's your system. Do as you wish.

#11 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 02:32 PM

I just checked the ASUS website also and the last BIOS update is 'beta' version from 2005, all other drivers are dated 2003! I don't see how this board will run Windows 7 with no driver support.

#12 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 02:33 PM

I am looking at the Asus website, not M$.

I understand that.

But if you are attempting to install drivers, then, via Device Manager update them you are only checking MS`s site.

I see the Asus site does have an automated check program. I have never used it so can not offer any advice regarding how well it does\does not work.

#13 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 02:35 PM

I just checked the ASUS website also and the last BIOS update is 'beta' version from 2005, all other drivers are dated 2003! I don't see how this board will run Windows 7 with no driver support.

Exactly.

Sudsy, did you do any research\checking prior to making the jump to Win7. Especially having chose the 64 bit version.
I do see they seem to offer some support for XP 64 but I do not have a clue as to whether they will work for you or not.

#14 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 02:36 PM

Which raises the question - did you run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor before installing W7?
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=1b544e90-7659-4bd9-9e51-2497c146af15

#15 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 02:45 PM

Yes I did run the Win 7 upgrade advisor. This is the third conversion in two weeks. I bought the "family pack" and did my notebook first, then my netbook and now the desktop. The upgrade advisor looked better on this machine that it did on the other machines.

I missed the scanner feature on the Asus page I'll try that next I think.
UFO pilot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users