Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Part of program does not connect to internet, other parts do

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 the2bachic

the2bachic

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 08 February 2011 - 01:32 PM

I am having trouble with a computer program that I use for my job. It's called SmartMusic. I tell my students "It's SmartMusic, not GeniusMusic..." when we have problems with it. Since their last update, that has been more often than not. StupidMusic is more like it these days.

Background on the program: I can open the actual program on my computer to access all parts of the program. I can access some parts of the program through Firefox/IE.

All parts of the program are working, both through the program and Firefox/IE, except the Assignment Library. When I try to open the Assignment Library in either the program or Firefox/IE, it stalls and then says it's not connected. I called SmartMusic Tech Support and told them this. They said that it is a problem with my security settings blocking the program. Below is everything after the phone call, starting with the email they sent me on how to fix the security settings.

From SmartMusic Tech Support
Please see the link below for information on SmartMusic requirements in a school network:

Answer Title: SmartMusic requirements in a school network
Answer Link: http://smartmusic.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1524

Please see the link below for information on setting up the local computer settings for use with SmartMusic:

Answer Title: Managing home Internet security for use with SmartMusic
Answer Link: http://smartmusic.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3549

Please feel free to respond to this case if you have any further questions about this issue.

From me
I did everything on the list for managing home internet security, and there is no improvement. If I try to access the assignment library from Firefox or IE, it stalls and then says it cannot connect. If I try to access the assignment library from the SmartMusic program, it stalls at 10% and then goes to a screen that says:

We are unable to connect to the SmartMusic server. Please check your connection and try again later.

If you have security software active, you may need to check its configuration or contact your network administrator.
Click here to learn more.

Network: RemoteHostClosedError (2) loading
https://gradebook.smartmusic.com/assignments/AssignmentLibrary.aspx

(I did "Click here" and go through several topics, but I found none that provided any applicable info beyond what I have already done.)

From me, before any reply was received
I randomly decided to try again this morning, and I was able to access the assignment library. There is obviously something going on that would cause it to not work for several days, then suddenly work this morning.

In the middle of me navigating in the Assignment Library, it suddenly stopped working again about 10 minutes ago. It is doing the same thing it was doing before.

[Note: it worked for about an hour]

From SmartMusic Tech Support
If you are continuing to encounter the offline errors, something is continuing to block your access to SmartMusic. You are continuing to encounter this after resetting the Internet security, adding SmartMusic to the Windows Firewall, and after following the steps to add SmartMusic to the AVG Firewall?

If these steps don’t work, you’ll need to enlist the assistance of your computer’s manufacturer or Internet service provider to manage your security software or router. The following web addresses may need to be added to your “trusted sites” list, so you’ll want to pass along this information to the service helping you troubleshooting your Internet connection:

•components.smartmusic.com
•gradebook.blob.core.windows.net
•gradebook.cloudapp.net
•gradebook.smartmusic.com
•smcontent.blob.core.windows.net
•smcontent.cloudapp.net
•redirect.makemusic.com
•www.smartmusic.com

Please feel free to respond to this case if you have any further questions about this issue.

[END CORRESPONDENCE]

I contacted my ISP, and they say that there is no way that my ISP or router has anything to do with it, which is what I thought in the first place. Any thoughts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 08 February 2011 - 01:47 PM

Could there be a firewall blocking it somehow?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 the2bachic

the2bachic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 04:14 PM

As far as I know, no. I have added it as an exception on the Windows Firewall, and added it as a PUP Exception on AVG Free. Those are the only firewalls I have (I assume). I have MalwareBytes and SUPERAntiSpyware, but both are the free versions where I have to open the program and manually start the scan. I have no other antivirus, etc. on the computer.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 08:03 PM

I just have to ask,the upgrade WAS to the application correct?
Are you now using AVG 2011,is it the free app amd hen was this updated?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 the2bachic

the2bachic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 10:17 PM

LOL boopme. I see how that was not clear...

The upgrade was to SmartMusic. They went from one version to the new version, 2011. 2011 has been nothing but trouble. They did another update, 2011a. That resolved some of the issues us teachers were having.

I'm using AVG Free 2011, version 10.0.1204, last updated 2/8/2011 (and updated daily). Students send me so much crap that I have to be vigilant about that!

I also update MalwareBytes and SUPERAntiSpyware regularly. I have a reminder set, so I update and run them each twice a week, alternating the two programs.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:28 AM

I have a couple suggestions.
Be sure that only one firewall is ON.

Turn all Firewalls off and check(put one back on)

It may actually be AVG, the 2011 version has seen a lot of complaints for interfering with many apps.
You may want to try uninstalling it and using either Avast or Avira free.
From our list here -->> Freeware Replacements
As I have also seen a bit of trouble removing AVG. you may want to use AppRemover

Edited by boopme, 10 February 2011 - 12:49 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 the2bachic

the2bachic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2011 - 11:53 PM

Only firewall should be Windows Firewall. I haven't installed another firewall, unless AVG Free, MalwareBytes, or SUPERAntiSpyware have one that I don't know about. I turned the Windows Firewall off (so NO firewall at all), and it did not work.

Uninstalled AVG Free (and used AppRemover to be sure), Windows Firewall back on. Still did not work.

Contemplating removing SAS, then MBAM, to test. Thoughts?

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2011 - 11:14 AM

Ok, I feel you will need to go over this with the IT folks. They may need to list the sites from the link into an a-record so the network handles it correctly.
This info was told to me by someone in a school system as I am not familiar with those restrictions.

#9 the2bachic

the2bachic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2011 - 08:03 PM

I understand the school issues, A-Record, all that. I don't teach in a school system anymore. Private music lessons, band program for homeschoolers, and a couple of days a week at a very small private Christian school. I'm using my personal computer from home and various other locations. I don't even have access at the Christian school right now, so that's not an issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users