Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Won't Start Up In Normal Mode

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 TofubeasT800

TofubeasT800

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 15 December 2005 - 04:44 PM

I've been using my laptop, which runs on XP, for about a year now. About a week ago, though, it stared having problems.

The first problem occured when I was playing Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. Everything froze (I couldn't even turn off the caps lock light by hitting caps lock), and small red marks looking like vertical "=" symbols covered the screen. Eventually, thing's would return to normal. I didn't worry about it because it only happened when I played the game.

A few days after that problem first occured, I found out that my moniter had gone black after I'd left it along for an hour. When I moved the mouse around, the areas of the screen that I moved my mouse over returned to normal, but everything remained black. The computer showed a message telling me that my Nvidia display driver had experienced a problem and to reboot the computer. I did so.

The next day, the first problem that I described happened while I was using Firefox, Gaim, and Microsoft Word. I shut down the computer by holding down the power button. When I tried starting it up again, there were green lines going down the screen during the Windows loading screen. The moniter would then go black, and the computer would restart. Upon restarting, it would ask me if I'd like to go into Safe Mode.

Only Safe Mode works now. I'm unable to start up the computer in Normal Mode.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 15 December 2005 - 04:52 PM

At first glance this sounds like a video problem, either a driver issue or a video card (hardware) issue. Let's first look at what Windows thinks is going on here by looking in the device manager.

Start > right click on My Computer > Manage > Device Manager

We are looking for Display Adapters. Do you see it? Is there a yellow (?) next to it? Click on the (+) plus sign. What does it say? Is there a yellow (?) there? Double click on the actual display adapter listed, what does it say under Device Status?

You should be able to look at all of this while in Safe Mode.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 sirfredrico

sirfredrico

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2005 - 04:53 PM

it sounds like your video card is either dirty or going out. take the card out and reseat it.
if that doesnt do it maybe it needs replaced...

#4 TofubeasT800

TofubeasT800
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2005 - 05:41 PM

There are no "?"'s anywhere. Under "Display adapters", it has "NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5700.

Under "Device status", it had:

"Status is not available for this device when Windows is running in Safe Mode.

If you are having problems with this device, click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter."

#5 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2005 - 05:48 PM

So, if I understand correctly, when the computer boots you get a screen that asks you how you wish to boot the computer and gives you several options such as "Safe Mode", "Safe Mode with Networking" etc?

If so, choose "Last Known Good Configuration" and see what happens.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#6 TofubeasT800

TofubeasT800
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2005 - 07:53 PM

It didn't go any different. The same thing happened as before.

I just found out that when I try playing music with Windows Media Player, it tells me that it can't play the files because there is a problem with my sound device.

#7 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2005 - 08:02 PM

Ok, I am a little confused. When did you try to play a sound file? While in safe mode, or is the computer starting now.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#8 TofubeasT800

TofubeasT800
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2005 - 08:20 PM

I tried playing the sound file in Safe Mode. I haven't been able to start the computer up normally.

#9 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2005 - 08:37 PM

Well, based on what you've told me, I think it is likely there is a problem with the video driver. One way to fix is to remove the driver, and then reinstall it. If you want to do this, then start in safe mode and go to:

Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs
And then search for "NVIDIA Windows Display Drivers" or "NVIDIA Display Drivers" and select remove.

Try to boot the computer normally and see if it will start up.

If it does, you will need to renistall the video drivers. You can download them HERE.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#10 TofubeasT800

TofubeasT800
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2005 - 10:50 PM

I uninstalled the display driver, but when it restarted to "complete the installation", the computer was unable to restart in normal mode and I ended up restarting it in safe mode. The NVIDIA display driver is no longer on the Add/Remove Programs list though. Now when I try installing the driver, it tells me that it doesn't detect any compatible hardware. I downloaded the driver at Graphics Driver > GeForce and TNT2 > Windows XP/2000.

Did I download the wrong driver?

#11 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2005 - 01:58 AM

Yes, it seems you did in fact download the proper driver. You will need to be in 'normal' mode in order to reinstall the driver.

I am going away for a short while and am not going to be able to walk you through this step by step anymore, perhaps someone else here at BleepingComputer can help out.

In the meantime, look at THIS, as I think you may need to get into the Recovery Console next.

Another idea is to go to the support section of the website of the manufacturer of your computer and see what you can find out there.

Or go to NVIDIA's web site again and look for an answer there.

I am sorry I cannot help you finish this in a timely manner.

Good luck!

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 16 December 2005 - 02:06 AM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#12 kenny_ken

kenny_ken

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 16 December 2005 - 10:39 AM

listern here my friend go in to safe mode. After you have done that right, go to the control panel add or remove programs delete that vice city then restart your laptop ok. if it dosen't go back in on normal mode then dont worry go in on safe mode and try this little trick, go to start, then run, then type sfc /scannow that will check all compatable windows files to make sure they are all right. if that dont work have you got your nvidia cd? please let me know cheers.

#13 TofubeasT800

TofubeasT800
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2005 - 09:49 AM

Okay, now I'm able to start up in Normal Mode, but there are still lines going down the screen, and I can't configure the resolution to go with my 17" widescreen moniter.

#14 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2005 - 12:42 PM

Glad to hear you are making progress!

Did you reinstall the video driver?

Now that you can get into normal mode, follow the directions I gave in my first post:

Start > right click on My Computer > Manage > Device Manager

We are looking for Display Adapters. Do you see it? Is there a yellow (?) next to it? Click on the (+) plus sign. What does it say? Is there a yellow (?) there? Double click on the actual display adapter listed, what does it say under Device Status?

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users