Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No administrator account -- cannot change account type

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ita

Ita

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 08 February 2011 - 11:21 AM

Hello all,

First post for me -- glad to have found this site. Extremely useful !!!

I've recently noticed that I've lost adminstrator account priviledges on both my laptops. I've got Windows 7 Home Premium edition. When I am logged in to my original account, which was set up as an Administrator account, and I go to Change Account Type, the "Standard User" button is active. When I click on the Administrator Account button to change it, the Apply button becomes greyed out. I have two accounts that were set up as Administrator and both show the same thing. Curiously, the account icons that show up on the login screen and on the control panel screens still carry the label "Administrator". Maybe this is normal for Windows 7, but if so, very confusing.

What I've tried so far:

1) Activated the built-in Administrator account, logged into it, tried to elevate the two accounts to Administrator with the same results above (becomes greyed out when I click on the Administrator account type button).
2) Ran virus/spyware scans using SpywareDoctor, Malwarebytes, and Windows Security Essentials. No serious threats found other than the cookies, etc. on SpywareDoctor scan. Malwarebytes and Security Essential scans were clean.
3) Started up in safe mode -- same result.

I originally noticed the problem due to the fact that Itunes would not update -- gave me the message that I didn't have administrator proviledges even though I was logged in to and admin acct. I was since able to update by downloading the update to my desktop and using right-click -- "Run as administrator". So administrator priviledges are still there for that mode.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Raizzt

Raizzt

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 11:47 AM

At what level is the User Account Control?

(Open the start menu type uac and hit enter.)
A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine. - Murphy

Site Admin
Tech's Thing

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,553 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 08 February 2011 - 11:49 AM

The administrator account in Windows 7 is a hidden account. It's accessible, but let's try this first. Disable UAC and let's see if you still have a problem. Also, add "take ownership" to the context menu and use it if and when necessary - these two steps will usually solve the problem. NOTE: I do not recommend leaving UAC disabled unless absolutely necessary.
Add take ownership: http://www.blogsdna.com/2173/add-take-ownership-option-in-right-click-context-menu-of-windows-7.htm

#4 Ita

Ita
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 01:16 PM

Thanks for the quick replies.

I tried disabling the UAC already. Did not fix the problem. I'll try to add the "take ownership" feature and see what happens.

Isn't it odd that both my computers have the same problem ? Makes me think virus.

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,553 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 08 February 2011 - 01:21 PM

Not at all - it's a Windows 7 thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users