Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ps/2 keyboard beeping

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Rayvn

Rayvn

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 08 February 2011 - 11:10 AM

keyboard started beeping during laggy typing (due to low memory). continued for long time, so i unplugged hoping this might cancel the queue. beeping stopped, started again when plugged back in. then i restarted. then "uninstalled" driver thru device manager and followed prompts to restart (required twice). beeps steadily every half second or so while windows (XP) is loaded. beeps twice when comp is turned on, with a more "digital" sound. beeps with same digital sound steadily while boot progress bar shows, then stops beeping while screen turns black. after windows starts loading but before it finishes, beeps start again with a lower-pitched sound.

please help, this isn't my computer so i need to fix it within next 2 hours else owner will blame me for problem even though he's nearly computer-illiterate!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 08 February 2011 - 11:51 AM

I just responded to your post on ComputerHope. Here's a copy of that response:

Check to make sure a key isn't stuck in the "down" position. Also, try a different keyboard to see what happens (and / or try this keyboard on another system).

#3 Raizzt

Raizzt

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 11:52 AM

Sound like one of the keys is stuck, try pressing each one in turn to see if the problem goes away.

Edit:

AAHK! Allan beat me by split second but yeah if you can try the keyboard on a different system but avoid plugging/unplugging ps/2 hardware while the computer is running.

Edited by Raizzt, 08 February 2011 - 11:54 AM.

A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine. - Murphy

Site Admin
Tech's Thing

#4 Rayvn

Rayvn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 12:28 PM

Enough with the "stuck keys"! Damn!! However, if you do encounter someone who seems illiterate enough not to check for this first, inform them of the filter keys settings (you can disable repeated keystrokes completely in order to check whether that's the problem).
Yes there were only two responders but there were also two others in other places, none of which suggested ANYTHING else!

I also forgot to mention to make sure that you mention any services that may be required to install a PS/2 keyboard. I did the uninstall as mentioned, and the progress notations came up properly, but who knows if they actually didn't do something right if I was supposed to have a particular service running while doing it.

Also, when I plugged in the USB keyboard, I had to restart before it was detected.

Edited by Rayvn, 08 February 2011 - 12:32 PM.

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 08 February 2011 - 12:56 PM

You're most welcome.

#6 Rayvn

Rayvn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 01:07 PM

For what?

For answering twice? I suppose that could deserve a thank you, except that nothing logical in an attempt to help was posted (only obvious "info" that everyone already knows). Though it wouldn't really make sense to say that without specifically being asked to if there was an attempt at help.

It would be great if people like you didn't keep promoting atmospheres of arrogance and anger on computer help forums, though. The point is to ask about things ans answer things, not to attempt to start random useless flame wars and/or attempt to cause people to kill themselves or their families and/or attempt to get random users kicked off the board for no reason while pretending to be "polite" while repeatedly insulting them. Not that you have insulted anybody, yet, but the attitude you portray here by asking for a "thank you" for posting nothing of use is the one typically expressed by the people who do what I described in that last sentence. It's extremely rude, and really, people (not you, in this topic, yet) should be banned from all message boards ever if they do such things. Especially on "corporate" boards that are designed for specific purposes rather then discussion, in such places where going off-topic is closer to heinous then "a small offense" like it would be on a regular board.

Or maybe you're not one of them and you just accidentally posted in the wrong topic. Let's severely hope it's the latter!

Edited by Rayvn, 08 February 2011 - 01:13 PM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,283 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2011 - 09:30 AM

FWIW: From the Forum Rules, to which you agreed to comply with:

"There will be no posts meant to offend or hurt any other member, in a manner which is offensive or inflammatory. This includes flaming or instigating arguments."

If you don't like the comments of any member (including myself), I suggest that the best course of action is to not launch into a semi-rant againtst the poster...just ignore the post and move onward towards attempted resolution of the issues reflected in the initial post. Anything other than that...seems to be not in your best interests, IMO, or the best interests of other members.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users