Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Computer Wont Boot

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lakerat

lakerat

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 15 December 2005 - 03:50 PM

I am running windows XP home. When turn the computer on you see it booting and loading windows. It then goes to a blue screen that says Windows XP in top right corner. It has a message line that states "Setup is restarting..........." and thats it. 12 hours later, nothing... I have tried starting in safe mode,last known good config, using resource cd, using xp cd and repairing, and just about anything else I could think of. Still nothing.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 15 December 2005 - 05:15 PM

What happens when you try booting from xp disk? Does it go to the blue screen and say setup is restarting? or does it say press any key to boot from cd?

If it does the former, then you need to go into your bios setup, usually esc or f2, but your computer manual should have instructions on how to do this, and change the boot order so that cd drive boots ahead of hard drive.

After it comes to the press any key to boot from cd message, say no where it asks if you want to install repair console. The next the screen offers to reinstall windows or repair current installation. Choose repair, though if that doesn't solve your problem, you might try reformating the hard drive and reinstalling a fresh copy of windows.

The reinstall option will cost you any files, settings and installed programs you have, but it is very rare for viruses and other malware won't survive reformating.

If after all that you still have this issue, you may have a serious hardware malfunction. But more commonly running repair from the windows cd will clear up any problems you might have. If they are not malware or hardware related.

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 15 December 2005 - 07:19 PM

Use the Ctrl+Alt+Del to open the task manager. In the Application tab does it list any programs not responding?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 ZENER

ZENER

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 15 December 2005 - 10:39 PM

I am running windows XP home. When turn the computer on you see it booting and loading windows. It then goes to a blue screen that says Windows XP in top right corner. It has a message line that states "Setup is restarting..........." and thats it. 12 hours later, nothing... I have tried starting in safe mode,last known good config, using resource cd, using xp cd and repairing, and just about anything else I could think of. Still nothing.

Actually, if you bought your computer from any brand say Acer/HP/Dell etc..... u might wanna try contacting their technical support rather than figuring out yourself if you are not familiar as i am afraid you might corrupt the data ....... From what you have mentioned, i think you have done enough to show that it does not work but however, a simple check would be to swap your hardisk to another good ones to see if its the hard disk problem ( which i think that it must be lare in this case). When did this happens and what have u installed previously at last known good config? Most of the installed wares would only be known by you , however, we still can provide u with guidelines on basic check but nevertheless, there are still tools out there which the tech support has would help much better......

Edited by ZENER, 15 December 2005 - 10:41 PM.

The Uprise of a new Technology is the contributing factor to the failure of many human brains.
In short ==== We are too reliant on Technology.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users