Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

help with clearing drive D

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 mar201

mar201

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 08 February 2011 - 09:47 AM

I have both windows vista and windows xp.(seperate laptops)
both drive D's are showing as "memory full"
I'm getting terrible problems with windows vista as it keeps saying the memory is too small to do anything. The C drive isn't full so I assume the problem lies with the D drive.
I have removed quite a number of programmes but I reckon they were not stored in drive D as it still shows as completly full.

So is it possible to free up disk space on the D drive (assuming this is the source of the problem). I'm nervous about deleting programmes in case they are essential to running the computer.

I don't want to have many things on my computer so i don't mind dumping alot of stuff.

any help appreciated.

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 08 February 2011 - 11:29 AM

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc962615.aspx

Louis

#3 Bill253

Bill253

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 08 February 2011 - 11:31 AM

Hi mar021,

Depending on the manufacturer, drive D's are commonly set up as recovery drives and are relatively small (10 GB).

In Vista, try Start -> Computer. A screen should pop up showing your various drives. Is one labeled 'Recovery (D:)'?

If this is the case, nothing should be written to these drives except recovery information. Make sure you're not trying to save backup files to this drive.

You might try looking at the HP Customer Care site here. Also take a look at the links at the bottom of that page for related information.

A google search for 'error low disk space' just now popped up quite a few suggested links. A search for 'memory full' popped up links dealing with RAM, which doesn't sound like your problem.

If you continue to have problems with this issue, please post back with your computer make/model(s) and operating system(s) and Service Pack(s) for each.

Let us know how you're doing.

Bill253

#4 Dutch70

Dutch70

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 10:53 PM

You didn't say how much memory(RAM) you have, but if you have a usb flash drive available, you can temporarily use it like RAM on Vista. Just plug it in and select "speed up my system" from the pop up box & see if you still get that error. You'll probably have to back up your files on your flash drive, if any. I just put mine in a folder in documents on my computer.

You may want to check your page file size too.

Edited by Dutch70, 08 February 2011 - 10:59 PM.

#5 mar201

mar201
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2011 - 07:28 AM

If you continue to have problems with this issue, please post back with your computer make/model(s) and operating system(s) and Service Pack(s) for each.

Let us know how you're doing.

Bill253

Hi there
I cant get hold of the vista make model and service pack etc for now as it's currently in another town. I've got my windows xp details but will search through the links and keywords as advised in this forum and get back if I have any problems.

thanks for your help.

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2011 - 11:33 AM

Just wanting to make sure we have our naming scheme correct.

You are getting good advice but it is related to two different items.

I believe the error you are getting is actually pointing to the restore partition, D, on your hard drive. Not the amount of memory, RAM, that your PC has.
At your first opportunity could you please give us the exact wording of the error. Does it use a phrase something to the effect of "low disk space"?

#7 mar201

mar201
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2011 - 03:14 PM

Just wanting to make sure we have our naming scheme correct.

You are getting good advice but it is related to two different items.

I believe the error you are getting is actually pointing to the restore partition, D, on your hard drive. Not the amount of memory, RAM, that your PC has.
At your first opportunity could you please give us the exact wording of the error. Does it use a phrase something to the effect of "low disk space"?

I have to apologise unreservedley. Regarding Vista, The problem is with the C drive not the D drive.
The confusion must of arose in my head because my windows xp d drive is full.
for the purpose of this thread and so's not to cause further confusion, I only want to deal with the windows vista "C" drive problem.

I basically noticed it was saying "you were running very low on disk space on acer C". and "Loading yahoo mail failed due to a client side galaxy error"

So my action was to uninstall many unwanted programmes through the control panel. The problem was that it did not increase memory space at all.
So by uninstalling programmes through control panel-uninstall a programme, it had no effect.

Hope you can help.

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2011 - 05:49 PM

So we have a dual boot system. Vista on C and XP on D.

Just so we know 100% what we are dealing with, is their a restore partition?

Also. One last thing. Uninstalling programs does not increase memory space. (there is an exception to that but we`ll save it for another thread) I should have made more hard drive space available.

#9 Bill253

Bill253

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2011 - 06:39 PM

@ThunderZ - it appears that mar201 is talking about two separate systems, both with full drives.

From what I can make out mar021 is also using the terms 'memory' and 'disk space' interchangeably. This is leading to confusion.

The problem with the Vista laptop seems to be a full C: drive. Mar021, on your Vista laptop please go to Start (blue orb), then Computer. A window should pop up showing your various drives, their capacity, and how full they are. Please let us know what it says for both your C: and D: drives.

As an example, my 'Computer' window reports: HP (C:) 151 GB free of 267 GB and Recovery (D:) 833 MB free of 8.83 GB

Please be sure to get the GB's and MB's reported correctly. As you may be able to tell, my D: drive is too full (an issue I may have to take up with ThunderZ at a later date...). I suspect a too full D: drive similar to mine is what you (mar021) have on your XP laptop.

Let's try to take care of the Vista laptop first before moving on to the XP laptop.

Waiting for your report.... :huh:

#10 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2011 - 06:46 PM

:crazy:

ok. I`m confused. Glad someone is`t. Bill253 :thumbup2:

ThunderZ making note to self to get refund for speed reading courses. B)

#11 mar201

mar201
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2011 - 04:13 PM

The problem with the Vista laptop seems to be a full C: drive. Mar021, on your Vista laptop please go to Start (blue orb), then Computer. A window should pop up showing your various drives, their capacity, and how full they are. Please let us know what it says for both your C: and D: drives.

As an example, my 'Computer' window reports: HP (C:) 151 GB free of 267 GB and Recovery (D:) 833 MB free of 8.83 GB
...............Let's try to take care of the Vista laptop first before moving on to the XP laptop.

Waiting for your report.... :huh:

Hi,
with vista, when i click on start - computer it says © 112 mb free out of 51gb capacity (almost full) and the (D) drive is fine at 21.6 gb out of 51gb capacity.

#12 Bill253

Bill253

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:07 AM

Error - see post below.

Edited by Bill253, 25 February 2011 - 12:13 AM.

#13 Bill253

Bill253

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:11 AM

I'm getting terrible problems with windows vista as it keeps saying the memory is too small to do anything. The C drive isn't full so I assume the problem lies with the D drive.
I have removed quite a number of programmes but I reckon they were not stored in drive D as it still shows as completly full.

So is it possible to free up disk space on the D drive (assuming this is the source of the problem). I'm nervous about deleting programmes in case they are essential to running the computer.

I don't want to have many things on my computer so i don't mind dumping alot of stuff.

any help appreciated.

thanks

OK, so between your original post quoted here and your last post what I get is that on your Vista box the problem is really lack of disk space on your C: drive. Looking at the capacities (both 51 GB), it appears that you may have one physical drive which is partitioned into two virtual drives. Namely virtual drive C: and virtual drive D:, can you confirm this?

It's hard to say from here what programs/data are located on which drive, but that shouldn't be too hard to determine by looking at Start -> Computer, then click on the C: drive which appears on the left side of the newly popped up window. You should see a list of files and folders. In particular you should see a Users folder. Anything stored in these folders should be just data and possibly non-Windows programs. These can be deleted, or written to an optical disk (DVD or CD) and then deleted or even moved to the D: drive to balance the load without messing up Windows - it may break some links, but nothing that can't be fixed. Any user generated data (music, video, photos, word processing documents, etc) can be deleted without messing up Vista (or XP).

Any programs should be removed either with the programs own uninstaller, or through add/remove programs, or with a program like Revo Uninstaller.

A list of components (programmes) that get installed with Vista, and are best left alone can be found by clicking here.

Hope this helps,
Bill253

#14 mar201

mar201
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2011 - 10:35 AM

OK, so between your original post quoted here and your last post what I get is that on your Vista box the problem is really lack of disk space on your C: drive. Looking at the capacities (both 51 GB), it appears that you may have one physical drive which is partitioned into two virtual drives. Namely virtual drive C: and virtual drive D:, can you confirm this?

It's hard to say from here what programs/data are located on which drive, but that shouldn't be too hard to determine by looking at Start -> Computer, then click on the C: drive which appears on the left side of the newly popped up window. You should see a list of files and folders. In particular you should see a Users folder. Anything stored in these folders should be just data and possibly non-Windows programs. These can be deleted, or written to an optical disk (DVD or CD) and then deleted or even moved to the D: drive to balance the load without messing up Windows - it may break some links, but nothing that can't be fixed. Any user generated data (music, video, photos, word processing documents, etc) can be deleted without messing up Vista (or XP).

Any programs should be removed either with the programs own uninstaller, or through add/remove programs, or with a program like Revo Uninstaller.

A list of components (programmes) that get installed with Vista, and are best left alone can be found by clicking here.

Hope this helps,
Bill253

Many thanks for your help. You have given me many useful pointers. I will have a look and hopefuly get my laptop working properly again.

thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users