Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I've HAD IT with google!

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 TheEgg

TheEgg

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 08 February 2011 - 05:50 AM

Todays google doodle is an interactive submarine periscope view honoring the 183rd birthday of Jules Verne. This is why I hate google. They honor such STUPID anniversaries. 183rd? Maybe 25th, 50th, 100th, etc. The other day was Ronald Reagan's (a much more prominent figure's) 100th birthday. Now THATS something worth recognizing. But nothing. Further research reveals that they also disregard 9/11 (a simple ribbon would do, you think?) and a little something called memorial day.

Its one thing if they just didn't honor those 3 biggies, but it makes my blood boil every time I see a custom banner recognizing some obscure personality's 168th birthday. Thats really rubbing it in. Every single time I see a special google logo, I think to myself "Where was 9/11" ???

There is just no excuse for this IMO. I don't agree with him all the time, but this makes the words "Rush Limbaugh is right" come to mind. This is anti-American, anti-capaitalism, screw the soldiers, left-wing bigotry. If you have a more logical explanation PLEASE TELL ME.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 08 February 2011 - 05:10 PM

"The doodle selection process aims to celebrate interesting events and anniversaries that reflect Google's personality and love for innovation. We are aware that the list of doodles is not exhaustive, but we try to select doodles that show creativity and innovation."
http://www.google.com/doodle4google/history.html

Of course if you prefer to think their choice is based on a vast left-wing conspiracy...

Edited by Budapest, 08 February 2011 - 05:10 PM.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 TheEgg

TheEgg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 08:21 PM

Well they DID donate the maximum amount to Barack Obama...

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,786 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 08 February 2011 - 09:45 PM

I'm also furious with Google!

It was Fred Nerk's 100th anniversary too, and obviously he's far more significant than some Julius Bern. Clearly the right-wing corporates that run Google didn't like his left-leaning politics...

Edited by Platypus, 08 February 2011 - 09:45 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 08 February 2011 - 10:10 PM

Add me to the list....

It was the 40th anniversary of the start of Operation Lam Son 719.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 10:20 PM

Forget about Reagan, it was Axl Rose's birthday!

Posted Image
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:30 PM

Would someone be willing to tell just what was so great about Reagan that has conservatives crapping their pants and demanding the country be renamed Ronaldland?

Maybe the geeks over at Google really like Jules Verne? And besides, Jules Verne seemed to have an unhealthy level of admiration for the USA... just read From the Earth to the Moon and tell me that it's anti-American.

I think I can tell you why Ronnie Reagan got the cold shoulder from the Google Doodle love machine: he's too polarizing a figure in places where people care at all about him and no one cares about him everywhere else. This may come as a deep shock to you, but not everyone in the world shares your deep, personal infatuation with Reagan. I daresay a fair majority of Google's audience could hardly care less about his birthday. By the same token, they don't have a doodle for Margaret Thatcher's birthday. Why aren't you complaining about that too?

(I'm surprised you didn't bring up the fact that Jules Verne is French. Conservatives are supposed to hate the French, right?)

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:37 PM

*quote 'Andrew'* Would someone be willing to tell just what was so great about Reagan that has conservatives crapping their pants and demanding the country be renamed Ronaldland? *end quote*

Mickey D's had their legal beagles working 24/7/365 on the copyright and trademark applications then, thats why it stalled..... :whistle:

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#9 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:41 PM

Ah, well. That would explain it.

McDonald's in Unamerican!!! :o

#10 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,751 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:54 PM

Heres a nice piece about the Reagan legacy.

Ronald Reagan: An Autopsy
To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

#11 Blathnat

Blathnat

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2011 - 02:39 PM

Fantastic write-up. Thanks for the link.

#12 Sightless

Sightless

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2011 - 07:57 PM

Does it REALLY matter? Google is a company with many employees, they are not out to satisfy every single person in the world. They are obviously going to have some differing views than you.

#13 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2011 - 09:21 PM

Short answer no, it does not.

long answer:

I hate them for not shutting down al-Manar TV chrome extension which is for hezbollah tv.

Rush Limbaugh has said horrible things about how we need to lock people up for smoking marijuana, and he is caught with a large amount of oxycontin which he uses regularly and is similar to heroin. There is a video of him twerking around trying to sarcastically imitate Michael J. Fox, who has Parkinson's Disease. The guy is a complete loser with no class. Reagan is right up there with him for running away in Lebanon and for trickle down economics.

There is nothing offensive about Jules Verne. Where I live there are a few reaganites like the OP who want everything in the world to say Ronald Reagan on it. Who cares? Maybe he can have a stamp, haha, I don't want to see him when I look at google. Lincoln's birthday was the other day and nobody is crying about that not being on google or not. :crazy:

#14 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2011 - 05:01 AM

@ Thrillhouse,

You are very correct in what you said,

There is nothing offensive about Jules Verne

Maybe a read of this can help? It shows just where the Name for the first Nuclear Subramine came from? The "Nautilus"

The Story was set in the 1890's and certainly includes America as a World Power then.

http://books.google.com.au/books?id=Hmpvgy-9nPoC&printsec=frontcover&dq=20,000+Leagues+under+the+Sea&source=bl&ots=4KrRdoOVBJ&sig=TQmdp_WTKhstz0YrzYFu25MYT9o&hl=en&ei=fflYTeK8Iof4vwP6tOTKBA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=18&ved=0CJYBEOgBMBE#v=onepage&q&f=false

Ray.

Edited by Drovers Dog, 14 February 2011 - 06:01 AM.

What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#15 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2011 - 10:59 AM

Never read it but I saw the Kirk Douglas movie version when I was a kid, great story.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users