Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Newsgroup binaries throughput issue

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Putrid

Putrid

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 08 February 2011 - 04:56 AM

Hey all! Here's a challenging one, gonna jump right in...

Came back from a 1.5 week vacation and noticed that my downloads from newsgroups were unusually slow. I currently have a 3mbps connection through Verizon DSL and have typically run steady at 350KBps. Now for the past week it seemed irregular and typically averaged out at about 2Mbps.... big decrease.

Through my troubleshooting (detailed below) I know it is something with this specific machine and not a] my network, b] my isp, or c] my newsgroup provider. Through the basic network monitor provided in the windows task manager I was able to see the effects of... well whatever is causing this problem.

Current Setup & Equipment
Windows 7 x64
Core i7, 4GB Ram
Newsgroup reader: NewsbinPro 5
Newsgroup server: bintube (Bintube.com) - SSL Enabled - set at 5 simultaneous connections
Internet: Verizon DSL 3mbps down
Network: Modem > linksys wrtu54g-tm > computer *All Ethernet*
Network: Modem bridged, logged into isp via pppoe

Detailed explanation of issue
The issue is specific to newsgroup downloads. Here is an snapshot of the network monitor while downloading a large file via FTP for about 45 seconds:

Posted Image

The network acts fine and downloads at a nice steady 350KBps.
Now here's a snapshot while downloading headers for a group (note that no matter the download whether it be headers or actual binaries/files, the resulting throughput is the same):

Posted Image

With the exception of the first 20 seconds or so, like clockwork every few seconds the traffic dips to a halt and then resumes.

Troubleshooting done

Rebooted all hardware (computer, modem, router)
Disconnected all other connections to router and disabled router's wi-fi - issue present
Plugged computer directly into modem (of course changing bridge settings, what a pain on a westell 6100). - issue present
Returned network to original setup
Tried FTP download, found resulting throughput did not duplicate (steady @ 350KBps)

Changed the ports on Newsgroup reader on both regular port and SSL port to approved ones, subsequently changing forwarded ports in router settings - issue present
Changed the amount of simultaneous connections on reader from 5 to 1 - issue present
Plugged roommates computer back into router, disconnected my own. Used roommates computer and tried a newsgroup header download using my server and my login - WORKS FINE - network monitor displayed results identical to the FTP download I did earlier
Got sh*tfaced drunk, called ex - permanently scarred relationship
Hair of the dog, recovered from hangover - issue present
Ran this test - seemed to pass just fine; 0.00% packet loss, 2.75mbps down, showed local network connections passed their test.
Applied this patch - issue present

Other notes
This is baffling to me. It's not just simply my ethernet, since FTP runs smoothly. It's "smart" enough to only affect Newsgroups. Since i changed the ports I don't think it's port-specific. And through the troubleshooting it's not the ISP, the router, the modem, or the newsgroup server, it's something here on this machine. It's not something that hogs the bandwidth but rather stops it.

EDIT: Removed irrelevant link/comment ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 14 February 2011 - 07:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Putrid

Putrid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 25 February 2011 - 05:01 PM

Bump? I can't find any forum rules on bumping limitations or anything like that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users