Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Monitor to Laptop

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 falconblumangold

falconblumangold

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 08 February 2011 - 03:22 AM

i have a samsung syncmaster 915N that i am trying to hook up to one of my laptops and am having no luck. i have two hp's one is a pavillion dv4, the other is a dv6000. i tried messing with every setting i could find on both computers and can't get anything but a black screen to show up on the samsung monitor. it came from a desktop that crashed so i know it works. i tried the function key that looks like the monitor as well.
any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by hamluis, 08 February 2011 - 05:02 PM.
Moved from External Hardware to Win 7 forum.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 04:16 PM

You do not mention the operating system.

Are you wanting to use both monitors at once ore are you experiencing trouble with the built in monitor?

When you plug in the external monitor is it detected? Does it show up in Device Manager under monitors?

If you are running XP. Go to Control Panel > Display > do not recall the exact path from this point. But under one of the tabs will be a black window. In the window should be two monitors. There will be options to set the primary and secondary monitors as well as an option to "Extend Desktop into this monitor" or similarly worded. Is it checked?

#3 falconblumangold

falconblumangold
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 04:47 PM

I am running windows 7pro. I am trying to extend the screen to external monitor. I installed drivers for external monitor. It shows up in the device manager, and I can drag files off of the laptop screen as if it were going to the external monitor but it just stays black. I tried more than one vga cable and made sure the monitor works. I also checked the external screens manual and ensured it is functioning properly. I also tried to set up multiple monitors thru the nvidia program for my graphics card. Changing resolutions to min/max and same on both screens didn't work either

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 05:11 PM

I have never known a monitor of any type to need a special install of any drivers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users