Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

scanner and camera Wizard for noninstalled scanner

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,023 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:48 PM

According to Windows XP For Dummies from year 2002, any scanner can be used with Windows XP because of some basic WIA which permits scanners to be used without being installed. Since I have an older scanner which worked well on another Windows XP computer on which the scanner was installed, I figured I could follow the instructions in that Dummies book to use the same scanner in Windows XP on a different computer. So I began to try.

Instructions began like this:

To use the Scanner and Cameria Wizard,
1. Click Start --> Control Panel
2. Click Printers and Other Hardware, click Scanners and Cameras...
BUT THERE WAS NO CORRESPONDING WINDOW PRESENT. THERE WAS SUPPOSED TO BE A SCANNERS AND CAMERAS WINDOW, BUT NONE THERE.

I could then not follow any further instructions.

I also found in Control Panel, an item called Scanners And Cameras, so I opened this to see if there were selections which I could follow according to the Dummies book. There was only an "install hardware" item inside. Also, somewhere along the attempted process, Windows invited me to look for drivers to install, but I was not sure if that fit my purposes or not. Would that path bring in the WIA software which Windows XP is expected to already have?

What am I missing here? Windows XP is supposed to have some WIA software allowing basic features of any scanner to be used, but I could not find the instructions path to make use of the scanner. The scanner was also plugged in while I tried the process. I do not really want to install the scanner because I already installed a combination all-in-one scanner + printer on the XP machine.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 08 February 2011 - 05:35 AM

Please click on Control Panel > Scanners and Cameras > on the Left side (as shown) there are Sub Headings for you to click on -
Do you know if the scanner came with an install CD - That may have drivers listed on the CD - If not then visit the site of the scanner maker -
If you can list the make and model for us, we may be able to link the driver site for you -
Thank You -

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 08 February 2011 - 10:07 AM

AFAIK...no scanner can function with XP without the proper drivers.

Drivers originate from the manufacturer of the scanner.

Louis

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 05:40 PM

@ cafejose -
Most scanners and printers from the XP generation were installed with a Manufacturers CD that included the basic drivers (you could update later) -

Do you know of any CD with this scanner, I keep my old ones (CDs) in a spare file cabinet drawer (there are dozens of them) -

Thank You -

#5 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,023 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2011 - 04:03 PM

The subheadings in a panel on the left hand side as shown in post #2 are not present. The left panel shown is not present.

I was hoping that the information about WIA software found in the Dummies book were correct, but now that seems to be incorrect. I wonder if there is something about the process I had misunderstood. I do not want to install the old scanner because I already installed a new printer-scanner combination all-in-one, and I was also interested in trying that WIA software to use basic functions of the old scanner.

For anyone interested, the old scanner is Canon CanoScan LiDE 70, and I still have the installation CD which came with it. I could use the CD to install the software, since the old scanner will and did work in Windows XP on another machine; but right now, installing the LiDE 70 on the current XP machine is not necessary (because new Printer-Scanner already installed).

Either the WIA information found in the Dummies book is wrong, or I am misunderstanding something.

#6 cogs10

cogs10

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2011 - 06:55 PM

you're just misunderstanding that wia isn't software, it's a service that runs in winxp.
the software you have for your scanner is the cd.

in the control panel, clicking 'printers and other hardware', the 'scanners and cameras' option should be bottom right, to the right of 'printers and faxes'.

however, you can just use the cd for the scanner to install the drivers. if it doesn't automatically
run when you insert the cd, just go to your cd drive and look for the setup.

Edited by cogs10, 09 February 2011 - 06:58 PM.

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2011 - 07:47 PM

in the control panel, clicking 'printers and other hardware', the 'scanners and cameras' option should be bottom right, to the right of 'printers and faxes'.

Hi -
In Classic View of the Control Panel I get Scanners and Cameras as a seperate listed item - That is where I clicked for the screen shot -

Thank You -

#8 cogs10

cogs10

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2011 - 08:09 PM

right, but the op had his control panel in category view, i thought i'd do it the way he was understanding.
he probably didn't see the icon, cause it's at the bottom.

#9 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,023 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2011 - 02:02 AM

So as long as this is still related to Windows XP, and I tried to follow directions that you have given, and not finding exactly what you described for Scanner and Camera item, I post here a picture of what my item looks like through Control Panel ---> Scanner and Camera. There is no choice available for "Classic View".

Attached Files

#10 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2011 - 04:24 AM

Hi cafejose -

This may seem like a silly question, but are you running XP SP3 fully updated , or still running XP SP1 Home basic -
There have been many updates and changes - As you are reading Windows XP For Dummies from year 2002 this will be outdated now -

Just an observation from what you are posting -

Thank You -

#11 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,023 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2011 - 01:39 PM

Hi cafejose -

This may seem like a silly question, but are you running XP SP3 fully updated , or still running XP SP1 Home basic -
There have been many updates and changes - As you are reading Windows XP For Dummies from year 2002 this will be outdated now -

Just an observation from what you are posting -

Thank You -

Yes, Service Pack 3 of Windows XP and fully updated. I have been keeping it updated for almost a year. Still, I do not know why I can not have the same lefthand panel with the subheadings as found in the attachment of Feb. 8. The outdated Dummies book of year 2002 seems not to be able to account for this.

#12 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2011 - 01:51 AM

OK mate -

My final idea (I am still trying to get a hardware guy to review this) - 1/ Connect the scanner to your computer > 2/ Insert the install CD > 3/ Right click on My Computer > 4/ Click on your CD drive (usually D > Open the install file for the scanner > Follow any directions presented to you - I am also going to throw this to 2 other guys that may give you directions -
Please stay with us -

Thank You -

#13 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 11 February 2011 - 02:03 AM

From the Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Image_Acquisition

Windows Image Acquisition (WIA; sometimes also called Windows Imaging Architecture) is a Microsoft driver model and application programming interface (API) for Microsoft Windows Me and later Windows operating systems that enables graphics software to communicate with imaging hardware such as scanners, digital cameras and Digital Video-equipment. It was first introduced in 2000 as part of Windows Me, and continues to be the standard imaging device and API model through successive Windows versions. It is implemented as an on-demand service in Windows XP and later Windows operating systems[1].

You still need to install the drivers for your scanner.

#14 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2011 - 07:21 PM

Hi again -
I have been told that the drivers (if not on the install CD ) should be available here http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/scanners/canoscan_series/canoscan_lide70#DriversAndSoftware

Try to copy them after the scanner is installed -

Thank You -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users