Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win98 Having Problems With PS/2 Mouse

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 XuzI

XuzI

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 07 February 2011 - 08:55 PM

I have a machine with Win98 on it, and it is currently acting really weird and affecting the usefulness of my mouse. It use to work fine until a month or so ago and now it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. When booting up, the mouse works for about 1-4 minutes, then just stops working. I then have to either reboot my machine or plugin a USB mouse. I would probably do that normally, but the usb cord is too short, and my cordless USB mouse is for my laptop. I tried a different type of connection with THIS type of cord: http://www.lirc.org/images/IR-mouse1.jpg

That wont work at all. Does anyone have any suggestions, or know why all of a sudden my PS/2 mouse is only working half the time? Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 08 February 2011 - 09:20 AM

There is a converter from USB to PS/2 it works with Mouse and Keyboards and doesn't need Drivers.

I have heaps of them. They still come attached to Keyboards and Mouse sold in Australia today. Picture of the Converter here as well, also comes in different colour for Keyboards, each work just as well.

The Package & Installation
The Logitech MouseMan Dual Optical retail box includes the mouse itself, a USB to PS2 converter and driver CD. Installation is very straightforward – simply plug the mouse into the desired interface (USB or PS2) and install MouseWare drivers from the CD. However, keep in mind that many users have reported bugs with Logitech’s software and the mouse is completely operational under Windows native drivers. I guess it all comes down to a matter of personal preference – you can always uninstall MouseWare if it gives you a headache.

Personally, I didn't have much luck with MouseWare. When I first installed it, the mouse pointer would frequently just freeze without warning and I would have to reboot the computer. I checked this with both PS2 and USB, and I tried using MouseWare with and without the weight inside (more on that later). The problem persisted. As a last resort I uninstalled MouseWare and allowed the mouse to run on Windows native drivers. After this, the mouse worked perfectly on both PS2 and USB.

Link to it

http://www.overclockers.com.au/article.php?id=195196

Try asking your friends about them? WIN98SE USB is not really compatible to modern USB, but the adapter certainly works. You could also look for a Mouse made from the people of my Link?

Your Mouse could also be full of gunk? That will certainly do it as well, try disconnecting it from the Computer, turning it over move the retaining plastic for the Ball, it shows you the way by arrows, but be gentle and dont let the Ball drop on the ground? It is probably full of Gunk? To clean it just use a mild detergent and water and let it dry thougherly before inserting it again. Whilst you have that opened look at the two black bars? I bet they are also covereed in Gunk. Use a cotten swab with a few drops of pure Alchol, such as Rubbing Alchol or Metholated Spirits onse again always gently. If you really want to clean out all the gunkin it, just unscrew the single screw and look inside? Clean off the gunk, very gently with a new Cotton Swab and a few drops of alchol and let every thing dry thoughly, even over night, then reassemble your Mouse. I bet it performs better after that.

That always worked for me until I went to Optical Mouse that works on WIN98SE using the adapter and any other Computer that still uses PC/2 connections,easily seen by just looking at the back of any Computer. Link to what I speak about and below an actual Picture of what to look for on any Modern Compuret.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PS/2_connector

Posted Image

Ray.

Edited by Drovers Dog, 08 February 2011 - 10:34 AM.

What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 08 February 2011 - 01:36 PM

If at all possible, try this mouse on another machine to see if it does the same thing.
PS/2 mice are still available and cheap. The local dollar store where I live has them for about 5 bucks.
In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users