Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Scandskw Error

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mjspdr

mjspdr

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 15 December 2005 - 02:21 PM

I started up my computer and when I get to my background it says, "Scandskw has caused an error in KERNEL32.DLL", "Scandskw will now close." The problem is that the computer then freezes and doesn't allow me to close the dialogue box. There aren't any icons or the startup menu up at this time. I've tried restarting several times and tried starting up in safe mode, but the same message came up and froze. Any suggestions on what to do? I have Windows ME.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sirfredrico

sirfredrico

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2005 - 04:56 PM

did this just start happening? if so try system restore to a prior time...

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 15 December 2005 - 07:07 PM

Have you tried running it from the command line in safe mode?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 15 December 2005 - 07:23 PM

:thumbsup: to BC mjspdr,
Do you have the Windows ME CDs and/or a WinME boot floppy?

If you have a boot floppy you can boot from that and at the A:> prompt type Scandisk C:

This will check your hard drive for errors. If it reports many bad sectors then your hard drive is dying and you need to back up as much of your information as possible. Post back with more details and we will advise you.
:flowers:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 mjspdr

mjspdr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2005 - 10:50 PM

I have the Windows ME cd so I inserted it and loaded from CD ROM. I typed in the command "Scandisk C:" and it says it was a bad command or file name. Could you provide step for step how to do this because I may have skipped a part. Also, since it is a CD would it be D: instead of C:. I don't know so any additional help is appreciated. Would system restore be easier to do? I'm not concerned about losing information from the last couple of months. I basically just want to be able to access windows and not be stuck. I tried restore before, but I don't really remember how to do it so a little help there would also be apreciated. Thanks.

#6 sirfredrico

sirfredrico

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2005 - 03:39 AM

not sure this will work. put the cd in. at the command prompt,

type D:\SCANDISK

im not sure if that will work, but try and see.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 16 December 2005 - 04:14 AM

You will have to be at the C: to run scandisk. If it boots to the RAM drive, D:, you will have to change to C: drive by typing cd c:.
The scandisk c: command should start scandisk it C: drive also. When you are booting does it give you the choices of Boot with cd support, Boot without cd support, Boot minimun? You should choice minnum boot.
If this does not work go to http://www.bootdisk.com and down load the boot file for your OS.

Edited by acklan, 16 December 2005 - 04:16 AM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users