Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Custom built computer crashes on startup

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 SIothy

SIothy

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 07 February 2011 - 08:25 PM

Hi, I built my computer back in '06. It just recently started crashing on startup. I will turn the computer on and at some point during the loading(it changes everytime) it will crash. When it crashes the screen looks like it gets scrambled and then frozen in place. I can hit the reset button and it will restart the computer and boot fine. The computer also crashes during different games. I recently added another fan to my computer to prevent overheating, and while it did help it, it still crashes every so often.
The crashing during the games is probably just an overheating issue I need to fix but when the computer is booting and it crashes, I know that can't be an overheating issue. If you have any ideas to what could be causing this problem please let me know, also if there is any more information that you need in diagnosing this issue let me know. Thanks a lot!

My computer runs on a 8GB Maxtor drive that I used to use in an old computer so I just carried it over to this one. Could it be that this drive is just old or corrupted and it is causing problems during booting or something else?

My specs are:

Windows XP Pro SP3
installed on a Maxtor 90845d4 - Old drive but it was from previous computer with windows already installed

Power supply - Thermaltake TR2 W0070RUC 430W ATX12V V2.2 Intel Core i7 Compliant Dual 80mm Fans Full Cable Sleevings Power Supply
Motherboard - DFI Lanparty UT CFX3200-DR 939 ATI CrossFire Radeon Xpress 3200 ATX AMD Motherboard
Video card - XFX PVT73GUGF3 GeForce 7600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Support Video Card
Processor - AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Toledo 2.2GHz Socket 939 Dual-Core Processor ADA4400DAA6CD - OEM
Memory - 1 X G.SKILL 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Desktop Memory Model F1-3200PHU1-1GBNS
Memory - 1 x G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F1-3200PHU2-2GBNS
Slave drive - SAMSUNG SpinPoint P Series HD160JJ 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Sound card - Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card - OEM
Dvd drive - LITE-ON LightScribe Black 20X DVD±R Burner with 12X DVD-RAM write Black IDE Model LH-20A1H-186 LightScribe Support
3 X 120mm fans inside computer

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:03 PM

Honestly all sounds like overheating or power supply to me. I would replace the drive just out of good practice at this time. you have no idea how much faster your computer would be with a up to date hard drive.Besides it is probably on it's last leg anyhow.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 SIothy

SIothy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:37 PM

The power supply died about a month ago and I bought another one, so unless I got a bad power supply or the 430 W aren't enough to power my system, I dont think thats the case. I meant to say the computer freezes instead of crashes. The computer stays running but the screen scrambles and freezes. I'm gonna try upgrading the hard drive and see if that helps any. If anyone else has any suggestions please feel free to reply.
And thanks Baltboy for the suggestion.

Edited by SIothy, 07 February 2011 - 10:38 PM.

#4 Raizzt

Raizzt

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:40 PM

I agree with Baltboy on the overheating and hard drive issues and also, I suggest you run memtest86 to check your RAM integrity.

If none of those seem to help try removing your stick of RAM that is not in a dual channel.
A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine. - Murphy

Site Admin
Tech's Thing

#5 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 07 February 2011 - 11:52 PM

When manage to boot into windows download this and take a screenshot and post it back.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 12:02 AM

My computer runs on a 8GB Maxtor drive that I used to use in an old computer so I just carried it over to this one. Could it be that this drive is just old or corrupted and it is causing problems during booting or something else?

That is a very old drive. <_< It was old 6 years ago and only got older. :P

When you say you carried it over, I will assume you did a fresh install of the operating system and all drivers relevant to the new build(?).

#7 SIothy

SIothy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 10:46 AM

@Raizzt - I'll try running the memtest86 and post what it says. Does it complicate things to have a dual channel ram set and then a single channel ram? I'm pretty sure I have them running on different channels.

@Killerx525 - I'll try that and post the screenshot.

@ThunderZ - Haha yeah I didnt realize how old this drive was until I made this post. I'm definitely gonna get a new one. I remember putting drivers on there for things like the dvd drives, sound card, video card. Is there anything for the motherboard I would have to install?

I have a few tests this week but I'll try and get some feedback for yall up soon. Thanks a lot, I appreciate your help!

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 12:25 PM

So, when you did the hard drive swap you did not do a fresh install of XP(?).

You just physically moved the drive into the new build and at most, only installed a few drivers(?).

#9 SIothy

SIothy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2011 - 03:55 PM

Yeah thats about it.lol

#10 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2011 - 04:23 PM

You just physically moved the drive into the new build and at most, only installed a few drivers(?).

Yeah thats about it.lol

If your above quote is an answer to my above quote then I would venture to say the problem has been found.

Sometime this can be gotten away with. Many\most times it will cause problems ranging from a partially functioning machine to an erratically misbehaving machine to a totally non-booting machine.
There are some things that can be done that may (partially) correct the problem(s) but there are no guarantees. A new install of the OS and all relevant drivers is the proper fix.

The initial problem is caused by the mismatching of drivers from the old machine and how they do\do not interact with the new machines hardware.

Edited by ThunderZ, 09 February 2011 - 04:24 PM.

#11 SIothy

SIothy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 11:01 AM

Ok, So I have tried a few things that you all have said. I ran memtestx86 and it found no errors, I bought a brand new WD hard drive and installed windows vista, then updated it to SP2, then installed drivers for every component in my computer. I ran CPUID and have attached the screenshot.

The computer still freezes on startup though. If I turn the computer on from being powered off it will freeze, but when I hit the reset/restart button it will start normally without freezing.

I'm going to try and take the RAM stick that isn't in dual channel out and see if that helps. If anyone has any other suggestions or finds something in the CPUID screenshot that looks off, please let me know. Thanks!

Attached Files

#12 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:35 PM

That GeForce 7600 GT seems a little on the hot side, 143 degrees F.

Other than that your other temperatures are with-in the safe operating level.

Do you have sufficient air-flow through out the case?

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#13 SIothy

SIothy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:54 PM

@Bruce
Yeah I was thinking that the graphics card might be the case since the computer is freezing up and not crashing. I think I have pretty good airflow through the case. The case is a NZXT Nemesis. There is a fan in the front of the case, a fan on the side, one fan on the back and I have a fan plugged into the PCI slot right in front of the graphics card that takes air off the card and out of the case. The room my computer is in stays relatively cold too. Let me know if this airflow setup seems flawed.

I might try upgrading the video card since its 5 years old now anyways.

#14 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 01:17 PM

Well I think your system has much better air flow then most of the OEM models I have worked on, which only had a PSU and processor cooling fan installed.

Based on the picture below.

Attached File  31768928-2-200-0.gif   12.35KB   1 downloads

Your GeForce 7600 GT has a cooling fan and a heat sink mounted to it.

Make sure that heat sink does NOT have any hidden embedded dust in the fins of the heat sink.

These cards have a heat sink that is mounted to the graphics accelerator chip, there should be a layer of thermal heat transfer compound in between the chip and heat sink.

Over time this compound breaks down and no longer provides a decent transfer of the heat.
Some cards come with thermal transfer pads on the heat sink instead of thermal paste/grease.
This pad was never a good transfer medium in the first place, but it was cheaper then the grease was and was used to cut costs on production.

If you wish to, you can remove the heat sink and clean off any old heat transfer medium and apply Arctic silver 5 heat sink compound, make sure the heat sink fins are clean of any dust and re-assemble it again.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#15 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 05:02 PM

Get rid of the PCI fan for two reasons. I have found they are not as effective at adding supplementing air cooling as you would think. Also since it is right near your video card it is more than likely pulling some of the air the air away the video card needs to cool properly hence your higher than normal temps.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users