Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB device always installing

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 RapboY

RapboY

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 07 February 2011 - 07:58 PM

Hi, I'm having a problem with my laptop (ASUS G53JW). The problem is whenever I plug in an input device, it always installs instead of just being readily available for use. For example, when I plugged in my mouse for the first time, it installed, then when I unplug it and then later on plug it in again, it installs itself again. It not only happens to my mouse, but also to other input devices just to be clear. Is there a fix for this? Thank you!

Edited by hamluis, 08 February 2011 - 04:53 PM.
Moved to Win 7 forum from External Hardware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dutch70

Dutch70

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 07 February 2011 - 09:16 PM

Try this...

go to Start> Control Panel> Administrative Tools >Services >right click on Plug & Play and select properties then change it from automatic to manual or disable.
Hope this Helps.

#3 RapboY

RapboY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2011 - 11:32 PM

i cant edit it for some reason, it's greyed out.. do i have to do anything else first?

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2011 - 11:49 PM

I`m going to guess that these are USB connected devices. Do you plug the same device into the same USB port every time or just plug it in to any USB port available?

You mention the mobo which is fine but I think this is more operating system related. What OS are you running?

#5 RapboY

RapboY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2011 - 11:59 PM

it's windows 7 home premium i think. my laptop has 4 usb ports, 2 on each side.. i mostly plug my mouse on the right side, whichever of the 2 on that side is free or whichever one i reach first.

actually come to think of it, i think it's only the input devices that are doing the problem i described. By input devices i mean my mouse and my wacom tablet. I regularly plug in my phone to my laptop and it ddidnt need to install again after the initial install.

EDIT: Windows 7 64-bit

Edited by RapboY, 08 February 2011 - 12:03 AM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,268 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 09:35 AM

I guess that I don't understand...why you view this as a problem :).

The notebook has the touchpad as the native device for HID. If you insist on using a USB mouse, rather than the touchpad...I would expect the notebook to reecognize the new device each time that you install it, if you reattach it each time. If you leave it attached, then I would not expect it to be recognized as a new device each time you boot.

What am I not understanding?

Example...I have an .mp3 player (the only USB-device I use) which is recognized as a new device each time I attach it to either of my desktops. If I leave it attached, the system boots normally, with no recognition of new hardware.

Louis

#7 RapboY

RapboY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 11:48 AM

yeah it's not really a problem-problem, but it's just not normally the case, isn't it? i haven't encountered this yet on any of the laptops i've used over the years.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,268 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 02:02 PM

Well...I don't use laptops, so I can't say for sure...but I do know that pulling a mouse in/out of a laptop should normally be detected by Windows, same as any other USB device that is routinely added/subtracted.

Perhaps someone with a laptop who routinely adds a USB device to said laptop...can tell us.

<<...then when I unplug it and then later on plug it in again, it installs itself again>>

That's exactly what I would expect, but I don't use any USB devices, other than my .mp3 player.

What happens onscreen when it installs? Is there a message of some sort? If so, please post it.

Louis

EDIT: I forgot that I have a USB-connected printer (I don't print often) and it installs itself each time that I reconnect it, after disconnecting it/uninstalling it.

Edited by hamluis, 08 February 2011 - 02:07 PM.

#9 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 02:48 PM

On mine and the Mrs. lap top running XP the only USB devices used are a wireless mouse and an occasional flash drive.

The mouse`s receiver is of the micro variety so it gets plugged in and stays plugged in whether in use or not.

Concerning flash drives. They are plugged and unplugged regularly. Normally using the safely remove method. If one is removed then reinserted into the same port it does not reinstall. If it is plugged into a different port then Windows XP will once again install the device as if it had never seen it before.

Have not had enough time with a Win7 machine yet to see just how it handles various USB devices and their installs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users