Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unexplained internet activity

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Trooper59

Trooper59

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 07 February 2011 - 05:06 PM

Laptop starts exchanging packets of information with my protected wireless network the minute it boots up. Sent this message to Windows XP forum and was told to try here.

I'm running XP home and have a DSL connection running through a protected wireless connection. As soon as I turn on the laptop, internet activity starts and runs nonstop unless I disable my wireless connection. If I click on the connection status several thousand packets are being sent and recieved. How can I find out where this internet activity is coming from and disable it?

Ran TCPView and posted it here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic378011.html

Was told they see nothing suspicious but I'm sure there's still a problem. My good computer has been connected to the net for 8 hours and has transfered about 13,000 packets (normal comunication). The bad computer transfered 789,000 packets in 1 hour 11 minutes on the same network before I shut it off. Never had this much activity in the past on this computer and it's the same no matter what wireless network I'm on. Slows the computer and internet connection to a crawl.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ATGUNWAT

ATGUNWAT

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 08 February 2011 - 04:31 PM

Laptop starts exchanging packets of information with my protected wireless network the minute it boots up. Sent this message to Windows XP forum and was told to try here.

I'm running XP home and have a DSL connection running through a protected wireless connection. As soon as I turn on the laptop, internet activity starts and runs nonstop unless I disable my wireless connection. If I click on the connection status several thousand packets are being sent and recieved. How can I find out where this internet activity is coming from and disable it?

Ran TCPView and posted it here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic378011.html

Was told they see nothing suspicious but I'm sure there's still a problem. My good computer has been connected to the net for 8 hours and has transfered about 13,000 packets (normal comunication). The bad computer transfered 789,000 packets in 1 hour 11 minutes on the same network before I shut it off. Never had this much activity in the past on this computer and it's the same no matter what wireless network I'm on. Slows the computer and internet connection to a crawl.

Try typing "netstat -a -b" at an elevated command prompt.
That will display all active connections and their owning process.

ATGUNWAT B)

#3 Trooper59

Trooper59
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2011 - 08:48 AM

Ran it and this is the connection causing all the activity this morning.

svchost.exe 852 TCP tony.myhome.westell.com 1117 host41.factsmgt.com http ESTABLISHED 68 13,736 5,786 23,564,434 203

Shortly after this post the connection closed and never reappeared. Must have been a legitimate update.

Edited by Trooper59, 09 February 2011 - 05:01 PM.

#4 Trooper59

Trooper59
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2011 - 08:59 AM

The connection that cosistently pops up and is causing all the activity is:

svchost.exe 228 TCP tony.myhome.westell.com 1233 a72-247-219-26.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com http ESTABLISHED 173 35,098 13,618 58,910,587 203 369,647 1 88

If I delete it reestablishes itself and begins again. It will run for hours.

This connection has come up everyday for weeks and runs constantly. If I delete the connection within about 30 seconds it reestablishes itself and starts up again.

Edited by Trooper59, 09 February 2011 - 05:04 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users