Jump to content


 


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.


Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Another Google Redirect browser hijacker, clean XP install doesn't fix!


  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 frescoraja

frescoraja

  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 07 February 2011 - 04:52 PM

So in IE, firefox, and chrome, all google links get redirected. when you hover over the search results, the URL that displays at the bottom of your browser window does not match the url of the search result. specifically, a prefix is added that looks something like this: hxxp://6ar1.google.com/(then some garbage)/http://(url of search result). When you click on the link, it opens up a new browser window that takes you to different ads, or sometimes back to google.com.
ipconfig /flushdns, netsh int ip reset, Combofix, Hitman Pro, AVG, MS Security Essentials, hijack this, malwarebytes are all of the tools I've tried using to find and extinguish this virus. None of these tools found anything suspicious on the system. I eventually formatted the hard drive and reinstalled XP, which did not work either. I also rebuilt the master boot record and rewrote the partition table using the XP installation disk and testdisk. This did not help either. I booted up to Parted Magic, opened up the partition editor (Gparted), and noticed there was a little bit of space after the main partition that was unallocated. I resized the main partition to make use of this unallocated space. after I restarted the system, no more browser redirects! I brought the pc back to the owner, and it worked fine for one entire day. but now its back! could it be in the router , or might someone be specifically targeting my client?

Edited by Orange Blossom, 09 February 2011 - 11:10 PM.
Deactivate link. ~ OB


BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

 


#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

    OBleepin Investigator


  • Moderator
  • 36,993 posts
  • ONLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:Bloomington, IN
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 09 February 2011 - 11:10 PM

Hello,

Please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<== starting at step 6.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<== Since you have run ComboFix, please include the ComboFix log in the new topic. Please be sure to include a description of your computer issues and what you have done to try to resolve them.

If you cannot produce any of the other logs, then please create the new topic anyway, include the information that you were unable to produce the other logs and why and include the ComboFix log along with a description of your computer issues.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users