Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Broken LCD monitor

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 trouble at mill

trouble at mill

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 07 February 2011 - 03:25 PM

Hello, My neighbor has a Gateway 900G LCD monitor which has developed a fault, now, when he switches it on, it only stays on for a couple of seconds then the screen just goes blank. I am presuming an LCD stand alone monitor is pretty similar to a laptop screen, therefore I would say either a faulty back-light or inverter board, or maybe the monitor psu. Can anyone recommend a test procedure so I could find out exactly what the problem is?
Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 07 February 2011 - 05:43 PM

Assuming the blank screen is black (blank could mean illuminated but with no image) and the power indicator shows operating mode, then a backlight fault is a safe assumption.

You'd need to open the monitor case and see if you can identify a cause, some people are comfortable doing this, others not.

A faulty CCFL lamp is possible but uncommon. Much more common is a fault in the backlight inverter or PSU. Common causes are bad electrolytic capacitors (often they bulge, split or leak fluid), or there can be bad solder joints on inverter components like transformers or transistors.

Edited by Platypus, 07 February 2011 - 05:46 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 trouble at mill

trouble at mill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 08 February 2011 - 10:08 AM

Thanks for your help Platypus!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users