Jump to content


 


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.


Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My google search seems to have been hijacked . . .


  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Boob Dole

Boob Dole

  • Members
  • 4 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 07 February 2011 - 01:08 PM

So, my computer seems to have been messed with recently and for whatever reason, using the google search from both firefox and windows explorer (but not chrome) causes me to get a 404 error (see attachment). My firefox browser used to say "seek" in the top left corner rather than google, so I assumed it was a browser hijack. I used Spybot, Ad-Aware, Malwarebytes, and CCleaner and between the four, all I found was a viewbarbho.dll, which I removed from the system. However, since I had done this, my google search still doesn't work. I have been able to switch to other search engines with success so I'm assuming that it took over the google toolbar, I removed it and it removed something important from it and now is not working. I wanted to be safe and make sure everything is gone though so below is my hijack this log (which I had ran through the online analyzer and everything seems to look clean except for a few items, which I didn't know about like that marimba tuner. What is that?). Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Attached Files


Edited by hamluis, 07 February 2011 - 01:49 PM.
Moved from XP forum to Am I Infected.


BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

 


#2 Boob Dole

Boob Dole
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 4 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 07 February 2011 - 02:32 PM

Bah, wrong section. My bad. Oh, and I had a Hijack this log here but apparently, it was moderated out . . . I think I included enough info without it but if not, let me know. If you need me to reupload the Hijack this log, let me know. Thanks.

#3 Boob Dole

Boob Dole
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 4 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 10 February 2011 - 01:12 PM

Well, for anyone that might have a similar problem but can't find any additional info, this is what I found. After running:

Spyware
Adaware
Malware Bytest
CCleaner
SuperAntiSpyware
ATFCleaner
TDSS Cleaner

I had found a viewbarbho.dll in one of the programs and removed it but the problem didn't go away. As it turns out, the malware had edited my default search engine/google search so it looked like a standard google search in the top right corner of the browsers to it's own search engine. From where I sat, I was using a regular google search and getting errors.

As it turned out, these programs had cleaned my system and the reason I was still getting these errors is because the fake search was being redirected to a file that had already been removed by the spyware cleaners, so it wasn't a working piece of malware on my computer but a gutted one, causing the errors I was seeing.

I hope this is of some use to someone. Enjoy.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users