Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which hard drive boots first?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Bill253

Bill253

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 07 February 2011 - 01:03 PM

I'm sure this is a FAQ somewhere, but have been unable to find it.

I've recently swapped in a couple of different older IDE drives to my system that has an existing SATA drive. When I reboot, the system tries to boot from the newly added IDE drive. I can hit ESC to access the boot menu, select the SATA drive and the system will boot to the OS that I expect it to (Vista).

When I next try to reboot, the same thing happens. I can go back to the boot menu, but it is annoying.

The IDE drives are jumpered to slave. Not sure about the SATA drive - just occured to me to check, then thought I'd ask before I really mess things up.

Didn't see anywhere in BIOS to set the boot order. The system is a HP Pavillion a6120n.

Any suggestions?
Bill253

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 07 February 2011 - 01:52 PM

Are both operating systems Vista?

You can choose a default operating system to boot from in System Properties.

Start> right click on My Computer> Properties> Advanced. In Startup and Recovery click on Settings. At the top of the page you will see Default operating system. Click on the down button to expand the choices and choose the operating system you want to boot from and then click OK.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Bill253

Bill253
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2011 - 03:54 PM

Thanks for the quick response dc3,

Hmm...
Checked where you said and Vista is already selected.

I didn't think this was a Vista issue, or I'd have posted in the OS->Vista forum. The problem seems to occur before Vista gets a chance, maybe I'm just not understanding correctly. Here's a bit more detail:

First drive is the SATA drive I referred to, it has: Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 2 (build 6002) on it.

Hitachi HDT725032VLA380 [Hard drive] (320.07 GB) -- drive 0, s/n FV2G002RX2EPTY, SMART Status: Healthy

Without the second drive installed, it boots fine into Vista.

However, when I put in the second drive (this drive was recently repartitioned and reformatted, no files on the drive):

ST340016A [Hard drive] (40.02 GB) -- drive 1, s/n 3HS45VMA, rev 3.19, SMART Status: Healthy

Now when I power on or restart, it tries to boot from drive 1. If I don't catch it in time it can't find an OS and gives and error message (don't recall exactly what it says). I can Ctrl-Alt-Del to restart, hit ESC to the boot menu and select Drive 0, then it boots into Vista properly.

A week or so ago I had pulled a 30 GB Samsung IDE drive out of an old win98/PII box of mine and put it into the Vista box with similar results. First it tried to boot Windows 98, until I caught it. Again, selecting the correct drive to boot from in the 'boot first' menu let it boot into Vista.
After pulling the drive out, booting returned to normal for the Vista box - until I put the Seagate drive in.

So is this a motherboard issue, a HDD jumper issue, a BIOS issue, or a Vista issue?

Stumped,
Bill253

#4 Bill253

Bill253
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 10:40 AM

Update: Solved

OK, so I was forced to RTFM.

Turns out I had connected the IDE ribbon cable to the Master drive (end) connector when I should have connected it to the Slave drive (second one - a couple of inches back from the end) connector. Guess having the second drive jumpered to slave either didn't matter or wasn't enough.

After attaching the proper connector and rebooting, Vista fired up like I expected and I have a second usable drive.

Did I mention I had received the drive for free, pulled from a discarded system? B)

#5 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 08 February 2011 - 09:00 PM

nice to see things get sorted out with persistence .

oh ,actually thats all a 40 gig hdd is worth, nothing .lol

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#6 Dutch70

Dutch70

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 08 February 2011 - 10:01 PM

nice to see things get sorted out with persistence .

oh ,actually thats all a 40 gig hdd is worth, nothing .lol

Plenty big enough to install a linux distro & dual boot.

#7 Bill253

Bill253
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 10:33 PM

caperjac - you're right. Aside from the learning experience, it almost wasn't worth the effort. :wink:

Dutch70 - you're reading my mind. I think it might end up in my son's XP desktop where it will be a nice addition to his existing and quite full 80GB drive, along with giving him a linux distro to play with. Currently partitioned as 20 GB NTFS and 17.some GB ext2. We've been playing around with Puppy Linux on a live CD, but may give Ubunto a try. :thumbsup:

#8 Dutch70

Dutch70

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 09 February 2011 - 04:00 AM

If you dont have much RAM on that computer, take a look at Xubuntu or even lighter Lubuntu, or something fancy...Ultimate-Edition 2.8 Lite, which is a souped up version of Lubuntu.

Of course if you have sufficient RAM, then Ubuntu/Kubuntu, PCLinuxOS-(kde), or Linux Mint are all very nice OSes :) imho
I've never tried Puppy, but they all run slower from a livecd, than your physical hdd.

Edit: PCLinuxOS-LXDE should run on about anything.
pclinuxos

Edited by Dutch70, 09 February 2011 - 04:50 AM.

#9 Bill253

Bill253
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:32 AM

Hey Dutch70,

Thanks for the input. I'm enjoying the conversations, but we're getting pretty far off the hardware path.

Let's take this over to the Linux forum if you don't mind. Looks like that forum could use a bit more activity anyway.

I'll start a new topic under 'Linux with old hardware' or similar.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users