Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I get back the files that were in an encrypted folder in Windows XP? I went to the User I used to encrypt them (right click on folder->encrypt

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 andrewset

andrewset

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 07 February 2011 - 12:49 PM

How do I get back the files that were in an encrypted folder in Windows XP? I went to the User I used to encrypt them (right click on folder->encrypt folder and subfolders) and undid that option, but even though the folder and subfolders are no longer listed in green color (the color of encrypted folders) the files themselves are still gone, just the folders themselves remain, but no files at all that used to be visible in those folders. I hate encryption. I never thought it meant "hide these files from everyone, including ME." It's so stupid. How do I decrypt my folders, or, perhaps more accurately, how do I decrypt the files that used to be visible inside the folders and subfolders in the previously-encrypted folder? I even did the lengthy thing related to Certificates and still the files themselves are hidden from me. And they're not simply "hidden files" because I tried that option in options->View but it didn't do the trick. There's gotta be another way.
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:40 PM

It sounds like you may have already tried one of these steps.

Perhaps one of the others will restore the files for you.

#3 andrewset

andrewset
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 08 February 2011 - 08:38 AM

Yes I read that one already too when I Googled this but if only it were that easy. I unchecked the 'encrypt' option for all folders and subfolders and still no files. They're not deleted because the folder still has size despite not being able to see anything, but I can't find a way to decrypt them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users