Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Enable Aero Theme on unsupported hardware

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 frank_cheese

frank_cheese

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 07 February 2011 - 12:36 PM

I have an unsupported graphics card, and would like to force enable the aero theme, so i can se the aeropeek (taskbar preview), animations, and the transparency and blur effects (glass), but have so far been unsuccessful - does anyone know how i can do this?

Frank
Failure is not an option, it comes as Standard with all Windows Operating Systems

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 07 February 2011 - 12:53 PM

What is your graphics card? I haven't found a way to get Aero to work on my Vista Business ... it too, is unsupported and there are no updates for it.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#3 frank_cheese

frank_cheese
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2011 - 01:31 PM

ATI RADEON 7500 ATI Mobility video chipset, there are ways to do it, but none of the ones i've tried have worked so far, i have another machine, it's just an annoyance that it doesn't work - i understand that certain effects will overload the card, but i'd like the ability to choose the ones i want, at the moment i have none!!
Failure is not an option, it comes as Standard with all Windows Operating Systems

#4 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 07 February 2011 - 02:10 PM

I've found this Registry hack that should enable 'Aero', but can't guarantee its results.
http://www.blogsdna.com/1996/registry-hack-to-enable-aero-in-windows-7.htm
Remember to 'export' and save your Registry as a backup in case you need to revert the settings.

See this reply from the same article:

Paulera 1 year ago
Thanks, i have a 933 Pentium 3 with 384 of RAM, fx5200 256, and it rated 1.4 on windows experience so aero was disabled until i found this page that is. I turned it on and believe it or not its working fine, at least its way faster than xp was on this machine.

Edited by Zuhl3156, 07 February 2011 - 02:14 PM.

#5 frank_cheese

frank_cheese
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2011 - 06:08 PM

Thanks for the response, but this is one of the methods I have already tried, to no prevail.

Thanks anyway,

Frank

#6 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2011 - 06:11 PM

Here is another that is slightly different as to where to insert/modify the Registry.
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2006/12/17/force-enable-windows-aero-glass-or-wdm-on-unsupported-and-wddm-incomptible-graphics-card/

#7 frank_cheese

frank_cheese
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 05:47 PM

I've tried the above method too, I have also tried variants of WDM and DWM in both branches suggested, none have made it work so far, am I missing something really obvious?

#8 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 05:56 PM

Guru3D is very innovative and resourceful when it comes to graphics problems. Go to their site, sign up for their forum, post the question and see if they know of a way to do this. If anyone knows how, it would be them. They've helped me with a number of graphics problems and helped improve my system's performance dramatically. http://guru3d.com/

#9 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 06:03 PM

I just remembered seeing this 'hack' to change the WEI score. Below where he changes the 5.9 to 7.9 you'll see "graphics score". You might be able to edit this graphics score and trick your PC into thinking it has a better graphics score than it really has.

Edited by Zuhl3156, 08 February 2011 - 06:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users